Can't select Album to move Photos into

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Can't select Album to move Photos into Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:08 am • by Azurite
I have a rule that tells all images (except SVG, Photoshop File, and Apple Icon file) in the Downloads folder to get Imported into Photos. The rule used to be for "All Photos," but despite that album existing in Photos (it's one of the defaults, I think), I kept getting errors in the log. So I made a new folder in Photos, "Imported from Downloads" and told Hazel to import there.
But for some reason it FORGOT, and when I try to click on the menu next to "Import to Photos" to select an album, every option is there is grayed out, and not all of the folders I have are there.

Why would this be?
Azurite

Re: Can't select Album to move Photos into Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:20 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Check the logs to see what the errors are and post them here. Likewise, for when the entries are greyed out, check the normal system logs and see if System Preferences logs anything there.

Other things to check are whether you are using multiple libraries and if the library you are using is set to be the system one or not.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Can't select Album to move Photos into Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:52 pm • by simonmason
I am having the same issue - when I select Import into Photos I get a greyed out dropdown for the library. I followed the instructions above and no change. I even tried creating a new library in Photos just to see if it would show up.

Nothing is showing in the Hazel log as I can't get past building the rule. A quick search of the system.log while I am doing this shows nothing with keyword Hazel or Photos.

I am running Sierra - is this the issue?
simonmason

Re: Can't select Album to move Photos into Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:48 am • by Mr_Noodle
In Photos, go to its preferences. Under the Library Location is a "Use as System Photo Library" button. Check if that button is enabled. If so, then you need to click it.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Can't select Album to move Photos into Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:14 am • by crashmore
simonmason wrote:I am having the same issue - when I select Import into Photos I get a greyed out dropdown for the library. I followed the instructions above and no change. I even tried creating a new library in Photos just to see if it would show up.

Nothing is showing in the Hazel log as I can't get past building the rule. A quick search of the system.log while I am doing this shows nothing with keyword Hazel or Photos.

I am running Sierra - is this the issue?

I'm having the same issue and the option to make it the system photo library isn't enabled. I think it's already set that way. I'm on Sierra as well.
crashmore

Re: Can't select Album to move Photos into Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:53 am • by Mr_Noodle
Launch Console (located in /Applications/Utilities). Filter on System Preferences then try and select the Photos action in Hazel. See if any messages show up. Post/email any that you find.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Can't select Album to move Photos into Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:00 pm • by crashmore
I've got the console up but I'm missing something how do I filter on system preferences? I did notice something different today. When I select the "Import Into Photos" action I then get a "Loading..." on the "to album" dropdown a short while later the dropdown is populated with an incomplete list of my albums within Photos. It looks like it's pulling 5 album names and they are all greyed out I'm unable to select any of them.
crashmore

Re: Can't select Album to move Photos into Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:52 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Can you provide screenshots of your album list and how that list appears in Hazel?

As for the logs, unfortunately, Sierra has made it difficult. Use the search field up top to filter messages but it's a bit inconsistent what it will show you but if you do get anything, please post/email.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Can't select Album to move Photos into Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:53 pm • by gcoghill
I am having this same issue. I have recently updated to 10.14, but have no idea if that's related. I know I had some rules that accessed various albums in Photos before, and they seem to be working OK for the existing rules.

However, I am trying to edit a rule, and none of the Albums in the drop-down menu are visible out except for the Library menu item. However, the album folders are all listed (they are greyed out).

I just rebooted. "Use as System Library" is enabled in Photos preferences.
gcoghill

Re: Can't select Album to move Photos into Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:02 am • by Mr_Noodle
Do you mean the "Use System Library" button is enabled? If so, then you need to click it so that it becomes greyed out.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Can't select Album to move Photos into Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:59 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Another thing to check: go to your "Security & Privacy" preferences. Go to "Privacy" then click on Photos. Is "HazelHelper" in the list and if so, is it checked?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Can't select Album to move Photos into Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:37 pm • by gcoghill
Mr_Noodle wrote:Another thing to check: go to your "Security & Privacy" preferences. Go to "Privacy" then click on Photos. Is "HazelHelper" in the list and if so, is it checked?

HazelHelper is in that list, and checked.

Mr_Noodle wrote:Do you mean the "Use System Library" button is enabled? If so, then you need to click it so that it becomes greyed out.

"Enabled" as in selected/chosen (it is greyed out).
gcoghill

Re: Can't select Album to move Photos into Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:35 am • by Mr_Noodle
Are you fully updated to the latest 10.14 release? Also, stupid question, but does the problem persist after a reboot?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Can't select Album to move Photos into Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:00 pm • by gcoghill
I installed the most current update after my initial post here, but before I saw your reply.

So right now I am fully up to date, and have rebooted as part of that process. Hazel is still only displaying grayed-out folder names in the Photos drop-down menu.
gcoghill

Re: Can't select Album to move Photos into Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:17 am • by Mr_Noodle
Are you willing to run a test build? If so, email in to support as I want to try adding some extra logging to help narrow down the problem.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Next

Return to Support