Add file to iTunes when added to folder

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Add file to iTunes when added to folder Wed May 11, 2016 5:14 pm • by zinned
Hi,

I've been using Hazel 3.x for some time and everything has been working great but updating to Hazel 4.x "broke" my rules.

I have two folders in my Hazel setup and, Movies and Series, and Hazel has rules setup to monitor change in these folders/subfolders. When a file/folder is added to the Movies or Series folder, the rule should execute. The rule looks like this: http://imgur.com/qFxkLPN

Ever since I updated to Hazel 4.x it doesn't work anymore. No files are added to iTunes when Hazel runs the rules by it self every now and then. In the log it just state two rows like this:

2016-05-11 23:02:34.857 hazelworker[1963] Processing folder Serier
2016-05-11 23:02:36.877 hazelworker[1963] Done processing folder Serier

BUT! If I manually choose to run the rules, I can see many rows in the log (one for every subfolder) and it goes though all the subfolders. If a file exists that hasn't been added to iTunes it will add it. But only when I run the rule manually. This kinda brakes the whole purpose of Hazel, that it should do this on it's own.

Any ideas?
zinned

Re: Add file to iTunes when added to folder Thu May 12, 2016 10:36 am • by Mr_Noodle
I think the issue is file events sometimes breaking on OS X. Try the following:

- Rename the folder to something else then rename it back.

If that doesn't work:

- Export your rules.
- Remove the folder from Hazel.
- Add the folder back into Hazel
- Import your rules and re-enable as necessary.

Give those a shot.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Add file to iTunes when added to folder Thu May 12, 2016 10:46 am • by zinned
Mr_Noodle wrote:I think the issue is file events sometimes breaking on OS X. Try the following:

- Rename the folder to something else then rename it back.

If that doesn't work:

- Export your rules.
- Remove the folder from Hazel.
- Add the folder back into Hazel
- Import your rules and re-enable as necessary.

Give those a shot.

I tried both of these but no luck :(

It feels odd when you say it could be an OS X issue since every rules was running smoothly in Hazel 3.x for months, every day since I installed it up until I updated to Hazel 4.x. Also, I read somewhere in the forums that the Hazel rules was only triggered by folder/subfolder activity and do not run when there is no activity. Is this something new in Hazel 4.x? Because I know that wasn't a fact in Hazel 3.x, I could see in the logs that it executed the rules even if there had been no folder/subfolder activity at all.
zinned

Re: Add file to iTunes when added to folder Thu May 12, 2016 1:52 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I believe we are already discussing this in email. The issue is not so clear-cut as you describe. We'll continue the conversation there as having to respond in both places is a bit tedious.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support