Filename with asterisk *

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Filename with asterisk * Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:07 am • by RichB
Hazel doesn't seem to recognize an asterisk "*" in the filename. Is this intentional? Is there a way to get the * to be recognized?
RichB

Re: Filename with asterisk * Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:40 am • by Mr_Noodle
That appears to be a bug. I'll see if I can fix it in the next maintenance release.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Filename with asterisk * Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:33 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Actually, can you post the specific filename as well as the rule condition you are trying to match it with? Thanks.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Filename with asterisk * Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:49 pm • by RichB
I was looking for a best practices or tips forum/thread, but couldn't find one. Can you point me in the right direction if they exist? I am open to suggestions.

I have a scan folder for going paperless. Based on triggers in the filename, I move the pdf to the target folder.

I wanted a simple value to trigger the action:

If any of the following

Name contains *

Move file to folder Reference - *
RichB

Re: Filename with asterisk * Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:42 am • by Mr_Noodle
Not sure what you are looking for in terms of a best practices forum. You can search the forums here or post any questions (as you are doing now).

Just to make it clear, you are filtering on filenames with an asterisk in them? You are not using asterisk to indicate a wildcard? I can quite tell from your rule what your intent is and they are two very different things so let me know.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Filename with asterisk * Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:40 pm • by RichB
Yes, I was trying to filter with the literal asterisk and not using it as a wildcard. Having said that, if you want to reserve the asterisk as a wild card, I will understand. Just to let you know, I am currently using the pound sign '#' instead of the asterisk. I would like to use as few keystrokes as possible for folders containing multiple categories of documents.

Thank you very much for your consideration and attention!

Rich
RichB

Re: Filename with asterisk * Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:24 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I actually don't want any wildcards or special characters. The different operators (starts with, contains, matches, etc.) provide wildcard-like functionality without requiring special characters that introduce extra complexities (like escaping and such).

It requires a slight change in the rule format but I'm working on getting it in for the next maintenance release. Check the beta forums periodically if you want to test the fix.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support