How to do this kind of Move and Rename in Hazel?

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

I save pictures a lot, and usually they clutter up on my Desktop until I organize them later into category folders. My folders are like this:

VACATION PICTURES (Folder Name), and inside the pictures go: Vacation_1, Vacation_2, Vacation_3, etc.

I'd like to be able to click on the cluttered pictures on my Desktop, then have a pop-up ASK me where I want to put the pictures (because I have a lot of folders, such as "Vacation Pictures," "Pet Pictures"), then ASK me what to rename them. Or, better yet, I want the script to automatically know what to rename the files based on what folder I select to move them to. For example, if I first direct the pictures to be moved to the "Vacation Pictures" folder, in which all the files are Vacation_1, Vacation_2, Vacation_3, etc., I want the program to automatically rename the newly-moved pictures and continue the existing sequence by going Vacation_54, Vacation_55, etc.

So I want the script to automatically continue the already existing sequence in the folder. After the move, I want it to automatically figure out what the name will be and the sequence number to start on to join the others.

Is this at all possible to do? If so, could someone explain how in Hazel? Thank you so much!
ipodgirl

Hazel will naturally rename a file if it already exists at the destination (provided you didn't set the option to replace the file). So, you would get something like "Vacation-1", etc. That said, there is no real way to control or customize this so unless you want that exact format, you will have to resort to scripting to do it.

It is on the list for a future version though there are still issues on how it would be done and presented.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support