Help with rule to consolidate two sets of files

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Help with rule to consolidate two sets of files Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:15 pm • by eN0ch
Hi,

Due to a change in some software I use (Yep 1 > Yep 2b), I now have two separate sets of documents sorted in subfolders by date:

1. the older set enclosed in a folder I'll call "Old files" (for purpose of this question);

2. the new set enclosed in a folder I'll call "New files" (for purpose of this question).

The old files were filed by date added according to year and month (e.g. 2009 > August).

The new files are filed by date added according to year, numeric month and date (e.g. 2009 > 8 > 31).

I'd like to consolidate the two collections by re-filing the contents of "Old files" in with "New files".

So I'm trying to figure out a Hazel rule that will let me do this as a one-off action. I've created a rule I thought would do it. But on running the "Preview rule matches" I get a list which has only a list of folders down the lefthand side matching the current Year folders in "Old files", and the righthand column is blank. This has rather confused me! Presumably I've done something wrong but can't figure out what.

A sub-question is: If I define the rule by date added what will happen to the "Old files" which were originally filed by year & month added but not "date added"? i.e. does my system have in its metadata a "date added" for each of the "Old files" even though they haven't been filed that way?

Hopefully I've covered all the issues for this one-off operation which I'm hoping will be over in seconds!? :?

Thanks.
Lance <º))><

iMac 24" 2021 M1 | macOS 14.4.1 | Hazel 5.2.1
eN0ch

It's hard to say what's going wrong with out seeing your rules so you might want to consider posting specifics.

The date added (or any metadata) has nothing to do with the folder you filed it in in the sense that that folder name is just a bunch of characters. The date added for any of those files is when that file was added to that folder but you could have named the folder "qpwoeuhqpwerogh". It doesn't affect the date added.

But again, posting your actual rules would be helpful though it might be easier if you just email support and attach them (click on the "Contact Support" link in the "Info" pane).
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Thanks, Paul. I think I'll take up the "Contact Support" option.
Lance <º))><

iMac 24" 2021 M1 | macOS 14.4.1 | Hazel 5.2.1
eN0ch

Return to Support