Color folder based on contents

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Color folder based on contents Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:41 am • by invictus26
Hi, I'm trying to set the color label of a folder based on the "worst" label within the folder. I have the files inside the folder labeled by how long they've been in there, going from green to yellow to orange to red. I saw the applescript which moves focus to the containing folder, but the label is replaced for every file in the folder. So if I have one red file surrounded by green files, the containing folder will be green. Is there a way to get what I'm looking for? Let me know if I'm not making sense. Thanks for your help,

-Matt
invictus26

Re: Color folder based on contents Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:15 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I'm not sure what the actual rules are that you have in mind but from what I can tell of it, I think you're going to have to code that logic in a script.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Color folder based on contents Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:20 pm • by invictus26
Ok, so I combined several rules which seems to work at least in part. This set is for orange files, but I have others sets for other colors.

Inside the folder, this rule adds the colors of each file to the containing folder:

Then this rule finds the "worst" color in the comments and sets the color label of the folder to that:

This rule goes through and refreshes the comments every hour in case the contents have changed:

I'll have to wait and see how well these work out, but it seems like there must be a better way than setting comments like this. Any ideas?
invictus26

Re: Color folder based on contents Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:29 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I'm not sure I'm following the logic in this ruleset but if it's working for you then so be it. I think the way to go would be to put more logic in the script. Looking at your rules, it seems like you are assuming a universe of only orange and red files which may be true in your case but I think a more robust way to do it is to put more of this logic in a script.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Color folder based on contents Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:03 pm • by invictus26
It's actually not working out very well. I really don't know any applescript, so I can't really add any logic to it. I don't even know how I would go about it. The problem is that I need to look at all of the contents in the folder, but the rules only look at each file individually. Is there a way to scan through the colors of all the contents?
invictus26

Re: Color folder based on contents Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:37 am • by Mr_Noodle
Again, for custom logic like this, scripting is the way to go. You might be able to work something out by avoiding scripting but I suspect it will be a lot more complicated to deal with. If someone else has the time, maybe they can do the script for you. You might also want to poke around some AppleScript boards.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support