Monitoring Safari downloads (Kind: Safari-Download)

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hi.
I have Hazel monitoring the Safari download folder and I put a rule to notiy me if a download begins.

The result is that if Hazel say in the rule test ⇢ Rule Matched: <blank> an does not show any Safari-Download files in the Rule window. (I activated also the hidden files option.)

Ideas anyone?
konfluenzpunkt

Hazel filters out Safari downloads before any rules can get to them. This is to prevent rules from running on them and potentially interfering with the download.

I would suggest using GrowlSafari except that it's an input manager, which I have a distaste for, and it looks like it only sends a notification when the download is complete, not when it starts.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:Hazel filters out Safari downloads before any rules can get to them. This is to prevent rules from running on them and potentially interfering with the download.

I would suggest using GrowlSafari except that it's an input manager, which I have a distaste for, and it looks like it only sends a notification when the download is complete, not when it starts.

I would like replace GrowlSafari with Hazel. :wink:
konfluenzpunkt

Mr_Noodle wrote:… except that it's an input manager, which I have a distaste for

Plus I've read rumors Snow Leopard drops support for input managers so, it true, their usage now won't be a long-term solution for SL upgradees.
sjk

If you keep your downloads folder empty, perhaps you could poll the filesize of the dowloads folder, or its last modified date (although I'm not sure this updates with file downloads, might need to check that)

Then you'd have two options as I see it:

1) Write a simple script to growl the filename from within the folder
2) Just say "a download has started"

Of course this wont work if you keep files (or partially downloaded files) in the downloads folder.
a_freyer

Return to Support