importing others rules

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

importing others rules Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:06 am • by kvora
Hello
I am new here and apologize if this has been discussed and answered before.
Are there time honored rules that others have created that I can get by downloading from somewhere so I do not have to go thru reinventing the wheel?
In other words are there any rule exchanging places?
Thank you
kvora

Re: importing others rules Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:58 am • by a_freyer
There are a few scattered here or there but the best and simples rules are the ones that are included as examples with Hazel.

However, if you want to see some of my rules (which are a bit more complicated than the examples), I'd be happy to upload them later when I get home around 5PST.

Anything that you were looking for in particular?

EDIT: The forum you are looking for for rules is the Tips Exchange forum.
a_freyer

Re: importing others rules Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:15 pm • by kvora
Thank you for such a prompt reply.
No I am not looking for anything special.
I saw the Screencast online by don McAllistor. Enjoyed that very much and bought Hazel.
I thought that with so many users there must be a repository of best practices or things people have figured out as great things to do to get most out of hazel's power.
So instead of sitting here and figuring out for my self I would just import them and modify for my need if necessary.
Kvora
kvora

Re: importing others rules Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:36 pm • by sjk
Unfortunately the Tips & Tricks/Rule Recipe Exchange seems to have more questions/discussions than actual tips, examples, etc.

Not sure how useful it would be to import specific rules from other users since Hazel is so often personally customized. I wouldn't mind seeing more screen images of rules that sometimes served as guidelines and examples for writing/modifying my own, like in the article referred to here:

MacSparky on sorting and moving documents

The specific rules wouldn't work for me but similar ones could.
sjk

Re: importing others rules Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:51 pm • by kvora
Thank you
I actually heard the Macpowerusers podcast on 'Staying in Sync' ( a great podcast for all Mac users, Highly recommend it http://macpowerusers.com/?p=78) and heard Macsparky talk about Hazel and how he uses it, I was very much inspired.
If I can make a humble suggestion to you to have some of these best practices either shown in video or just screen captures in a separate section it would be a great help to the new users.
We all need a little hand holding from pros.
I can really see a section in your forum called 'best practices' where users are offering these practices and the rules for downloading.
kvora

Re: importing others rules Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:57 pm • by Mr_Noodle
You can also check out the Buzz section. The first section usually points to tutorials, walkthroughs and examples. The rest of the page points to reviews which may be of less use though they sometimes talk about the reviewer's specific uses and workflows.

If you have specific tasks you want Hazel to do, just post here and I'm sure someone can suggest ways of accomplishing it.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: importing others rules Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:17 pm • by sjk
Mr_Noodle wrote:You can also check out the Buzz section.

Wow, how long has that been there? I'd never noticed it, though usually I visit the forum's View active topics link/page directly. Thanks for mentioning it!
sjk

Re: importing others rules Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:27 pm • by kvora
Thank you Mr. Noodles. that is what I was looking for
kvora

Re: importing others rules Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:43 pm • by a_freyer
I do like the idea of having a forum or perhaps just a thread donated to rules/screenshots/etc. I think that this was the original intention of the tips forum, but like you said, there's alot of debugging going on there. Perhaps I'll start a thread tonight when I get back to my mac.
a_freyer

Re: importing others rules Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:00 pm • by sjk
a_freyer wrote:Perhaps I'll start a thread tonight when I get back to my mac.

A single thread could quickly become cluttered, which doesn't seem an improvement over using the existing Tips & Tricks/Rule Recipe Exchange subforum (even with its extra chit-chat).
sjk

broken link 'Buzz' section Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:06 am • by kvora
Buzz section is very good but there is a broken or lost link for 'Kinkless screencast'.
The description sounds very good but I could not get there.
kvora

Re: importing others rules Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:29 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Looks like the whole kinkless.com site is under maintenance/renovation. I say check back in a few days.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support