Determine if video file is still being recorded

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

I have a folder set up as a video capture folder. The video file is created as soon as the record button is clicked. While recording, the modified date is constantly being updated to the current time. Once recording stops, the modified date stops moving up.

Is there any way to create a rule that would only apply to files where the date modified hasn't changed in awhile? If there was a way to compare the creation time to the current time, that would solve everything, but I don't see anything for that. I think I can see a way to do it if there was a BUT NOT way to join rules (ie run if conditions 1 and 2 are met but not if condition 3 is met), but to be honest my brain is a little scrambled from trying to work it all out.

Any suggestions are wildly appreciated.
grovberg

Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:18 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I did add "minutes" as a time unit in 1.1.3 so you can do something like "Date modified is not in the last 3 minutes". Note that since Hazel may not detect a change immediately in this particular case, so it might be up to 8 minutes before the above condition no longer applies.

The current time thing would probably not be reliable because of delays in processing.

As for doing condition 1 and 2 but not 3, I believe all the operators have negating versions so you should be able to do the above. If you are having troubles with it, maybe post the actual conditions.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:17 pm • by grovberg
Okay, I went to lunch and stopped thinking about this project for a second and I think I was just over-thinking it.

Setting a rule of Date Last Modified is not in the last 20 minutes on the folder described above would do just what I want, right?

Another way you could read that rule is:

Run the action unless the modified date is in the last twenty inutes. Is that right? If so I'm in good shape.

I had to start the project over at the last minute, so my brain is a bit fried at the moment. Thanks for the response.
grovberg

Return to Support