Rule matching with multiple color labels simultaneously?

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hello!
I am trying to create a hazel rule to move a file that has two specific color labels (image #1 below). However it seems that Hazel only has the ability to match on a single color label (image #2), and only recognizes that last color label applied to the file. Note: This does work as expected if just a single tag/label is applied

Has anyone else noticed a similar behavior or had any luck accomplishing a similar task?

Thanks!

Hazel Rule: Image
Hazel Rule Match: Image
jcloo

A file can only have one color label. It can have multiple tags though so you might want to try matching on those instead since the color labels map to tags.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

jcloo wrote:Hello!
I am trying to create a hazel rule to move a file that has two specific color labels (image #1 below). However it seems that Hazel only has the ability to match on a single color label (image #2), and only recognizes that last color label applied to the file. Note: This does work as expected if just a single tag/label is applied

Has anyone else noticed a similar behavior or had any luck accomplishing a similar task?

Thanks!

Mr_Noodle wrote:A file can only have one color label. It can have multiple tags though so you might want to try matching on those instead since the color labels map to tags.

In Catalina (and a few earlier OS) a file CAN have more than one color label. I've had the same issue of only the most recent being recognized by rules. I've changed my rules to evaluate tags instead of colors thanks to this thread, but am pointing out for correctness going forward the new capability of multiple colors so that it might be implemented in upcoming versions of Hazel.
BenW

Thanks for the update though it's a bit more subtle than that. Apple has tied color labels and tags together but internally, there is a color label that is independent of tags. When you set color labels in Finder, you are adding generic color tags ("yellow", "blue", etc). Internally, there is one color label which is a number and it can be set regardless of whether any tags of that color exist in the system. It's bit of a confusing mess but nonetheless, it's always best to match on tags when possible.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support