looking to backup my itunes folder

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

looking to backup my itunes folder Mon May 11, 2009 3:07 pm • by matthew.e
Hello,

I am looking to use hazel to copy (backup) my entire itunes folder whenever there is a change such as addition of music,i am not to worried about actually syncing, or removing music if i delete something from my library.

how do i accomplish this?

Thanks.
matthew.e

Re: looking to backup my itunes folder Tue May 12, 2009 3:56 pm • by Mr_Noodle
If your library is large, I'd recommend getting some software made for backing up specifically.

In general, you can do a rule like the following:

If Date Last Modified is after Date Last Matched, copy to <some folder>

This will copy files if they have changed or have been added. One problem is that it doesn't catch deletions (which you've surmised). But it has other issues such as folder structure. If you have Hazel descend into folders, it can't replicate the folder structure when copying to the destination. This is something on the feature list but it's not clear how/when it will be implemented. You might be able to re-create the structure using "Sort into subfolder" and using the metadata to reconstruct the artist/album folder structure.

In the end, though, if the library is large, Hazel will be spending a good amount of time scanning the whole folder tree which can be time/resource consuming. Time Machine, for instance, is better suited for this type of thing. When Hazel goes Leopard-only, Hazel will be better able to do this more efficiently as well but for the moment, I'd suggest using TM or other syncing/backup if possible.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support