Hazel has stopped processing anything

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hazel has stopped processing anything Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:57 pm • by Lythande
I have the latest version of hazel, the latest version of Yosemite and about 3 weeks ago hazel just stopped working on all rules even when forced. Console says it is processing rules and has completed tasks but nothing happens. It started having issues when the empty trash command was enabled. It would hang the finder and make the machine crash. I deselected the trash actions and everything seems to work again but then everything just stopped. I've tried the troubleshooting fix but nothing. Any ideas?
Lythande

Re: Hazel has stopped processing anything Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:05 am • by Mr_Noodle
Did you check the troubleshooting article (see sticky at top of the forum)? If so, then please provide results of the preview function.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Hazel has stopped processing anything Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:12 pm • by Lythande
Using the preview function shows no matches for any rules except those that deal with the file name or other finder attributes. No match to anything contained within the file. I can cut and paste text from the document when I open it in Preview so the system does recognize the OCR data within the file. Console log says Hazel has processed the rules with no actions taken. Some files work but only sporadically and some not at all. If I enable the empty trash function the program will lock up and the finder will freeze forcing a reboot.
Lythande

Re: Hazel has stopped processing anything Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:19 am • by Mr_Noodle
If it doesn't match in the preview then you need to focus on the rule conditions to see why they aren't matching. If you email me more details like your specific rules and such, I can take a closer look.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Hazel has stopped processing anything Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:13 am • by Lythande
OK This is getting nowhere. Even rules that once worked fine now no longer do so. I'm back to processing files manually. I've removed Hazel from my machine until you guys do something to fix the problems. Sorry.
Lythande

Re: Hazel has stopped processing anything Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:12 am • by Mr_Noodle
Note that there are several issues that may be at play here (including a serious Apple bug). I'm sorry if you don't wish to continue but the problem won't be solved if you don't work with me on this.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Hazel has stopped processing anything Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:13 am • by Lythande
It's not a question of working with you on this at all. I had several rules that were working fine and now do not. I've not changed anything on my system other than upgrade the OS to the latest version. The only reason I even noticed that the rules stopped working was when my action folder was filling up with files that should have been moved elsewhere. I'm guessing it's a problem with OS compatibility. So I will wait until the next upgrade to see if things improve. I do apologize for wasting your time with this and will bother you no further.
Lythande

Re: Hazel has stopped processing anything Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:28 am • by Mr_Noodle
They won't improve that way. There's no known incompatibility and chances are not good that things will just automatically fix themselves. If nothing in Hazel changed, then something in your system did, whether you realize it or not. By isolating it we can come to a solution. I suggest posting/emailing your logs as that will give a better indication of what is happening.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Hazel has stopped processing anything Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:50 am • by ovicula
Same problem here - many(! - not all) rules which worked in the last month stopped working.

Most of my rules rename an tag pdf files by content. I've tested every single condition by searching via viewer.
I've tried the mdls command in terminal but I got an "permission denied" (admin!) - something wrong with my scanned documents?

(Sorry for my english ... i don't use it that often :? )
ovicula

Re: Hazel has stopped processing anything Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:31 pm • by Mr_Noodle
If you can't do 'mdls' on the file, then there's something else wrong. Are you able to read the file itself?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Hazel has stopped processing anything Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:57 am • by ovicula
I'm able to read the file and spotlight finds every single defined condition - only hazel does ... nothing.
ovicula

Re: Hazel has stopped processing anything Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:03 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Have you checked the preview? Also, you might want to send in your rules and the file in question as I can better tell what's going on with those.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support