Workflow for pictures

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Workflow for pictures Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:59 am • by xaMax
Hi,

I need some ideas for a "picture workflow".

I copy pictures from my digital camera to a folder named "newphotos".
What I then need is:

- Split photos and movies in two seperate subfolders
- Name these subfolders: "birthday" and "birthday_videos" (birthday = variable for the specific event)
- Move each folder to a droplet (changenames.app - created by A Better Finder Rename) which will rename the files.
- And optional: Move these files to Houdah Geo to geotag them.

Any Ideas, if and how I can solve this with Hazel / Apple Script?
Or what is your workflow with new pictures?

Thanks in advance!
xaMax

Re: Workflow for pictures Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:21 pm • by Mr_Noodle
- Split photos and movies in two seperate subfolders

That can be done by filtering on Kind and using the sort into subfolders action.

- Name these subfolders: "birthday" and "birthday_videos" (birthday = variable for the specific event)

This depends on where this variable is coming from. If it's in the name, you can use match patterns/custom tokens to capture that part of the name and use that in the pattern in the subfolder action. If it's a piece of metadata, then find the appropriate Spotlight attribute and drop that into the pattern in the subfolder action.

- Move each folder to a droplet (changenames.app - created by A Better Finder Rename) which will rename the files.

I don't know how the droplets work but if it's just an app, then you can have Hazel open the file using that app. On a side note, what kind of renaming are you doing and is it something Hazel could do?

- And optional: Move these files to Houdah Geo to geotag them.

Again, I don't know the specifics of Houdah Geo but I'm guessing you can either just have Hazel tell Houdah Geo to open the file or use Automator/AppleScript.

If writing up an AppleScript, make sure to check the help.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Workflow for pictures Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:22 pm • by xaMax
Mr_Noodle wrote:This depends on where this variable is coming from.
It's a complete "new" variable. It's not within any tags or name. If I move photos from my digital camera to my computer - there is nothing to use. So I would need a "pop up". I requested it a while ago (see http://www.noodlesoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=344). Perhaps AppleScript can do this? Is it possible to return a variable or a value to Hazel with applescript? Something like: "Move to a new folder named 'insert applescript to ask for a text here' "

I don't know how the droplets work but if it's just an app, then you can have Hazel open the file using that app. On a side note, what kind of renaming are you doing and is it something Hazel could do?
Hm... it's not directly an app, because if I open it, I can only modify the droplet. I have to "move" the files directly on the droplet. But neither Hazel nor Applescript can do this - I think :/
It's renaming the photos from the EXIF Date: img.jpg will be 2009-04-19_20-04-59_NAMEOFFOLDER_001.jpg

Again, I don't know the specifics of Houdah Geo but I'm guessing you can either just have Hazel tell Houdah Geo to open the file or use Automator/AppleScript.
I'll try Applescript or "open file with Houdah Geo" in Hazel :)

I think the big thing I miss within Hazel is the "pop-up-thing" - or the knowledge how to return values with AppleScript to Hazel ;)

Thanks anyway!! :)

edit: correct quoting
xaMax

Re: Workflow for pictures Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:32 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Yes, you can use AppleScript to do the pop-up. The problem is that there's no way to pass arbitrary variables back to Hazel. You can have your AppleScript tell Hazel what file to use from that point onwards, but it should only really work for files that already exist.

One kinda clumsy way to do what you want is to have the AppleScript set whatever is typed into the pop-up as a comment on the file. Hazel's other actions can then use the comment in any patterns. This would only really work if you don't use the comment for other things.

Again, not sure how the droplets work so you'd have to check with the developer of the droplet to get details on how to "drive" it. I seem to remember that Spotlight doesn't index EXIF dates but you can double-check because if it does, that means you can have Hazel do the renaming.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support