Understanding subfolders

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Understanding subfolders Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:13 pm • by Josh_Wooding
I am LOVING Hazel! However I am having some trouble understanding some of the more complicated stuff other than just moving files and setting colors. I download music from Xtorrent and it goes to my Downloads folder. It also downloads partial songs other than the one that I want. I would like for Hazel to be able to dig into the subfolders, transfer to itunes (songs greater than 3 MB), then delete the copy and folders.

One other item I have not been able to figure out, is it possible to set up hazel to delete songs in Itunes that have a rating of only 1?

THANKS SOOOO MUCH!
Josh_Wooding

Re: Understanding subfolders Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:45 pm • by Mr_Noodle
To tell Hazel to go into subfolders, add a rule like the following:

If Kind is Folder, Run rules on folder contents

That tells Hazel that if it encounters a folder, to descend into it. You would then have separate rules to match the files (I added the emphasis because people always miss that part). If you have iTunes set to copy files, then after running the "Import into iTunes" action, you can just move the file to the trash. As for folders, it depends. If you just want Hazel to clear out any empty folders after you have processed the files in them, then you can set up a rule like:

If Kind is folder and size is 0, move to trash

As for deleting songs with a certain rating, once it's managed by iTunes it may not be a good idea to have Hazel touch the files there. iTunes has it's own internal accounting so you'd want to use something like AppleScript to tell iTunes to do it.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support