Pre-purchase issue - some files skipped from time to time

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Well Hello All..

I have downloaded Hazel and I am currently evaluating it. I have one more week for evaluation, but have run into a stupid problem, that currently is a show stopper.

I have made a few rules and while they work as they should, from time to time some files are skipped. The files missing can sometimes be arranged if I re-run the rules, but other times the files will not move whatsoever, even though the show up as they should in the preview window e.g. the rules apply.

For instance I have one rule that moves screenshots to a folder adding date and time to the end of the file. These files get moved from the desktop to a folder and they mostly do it right. But for some reason a few can get "stuck" in the process and just sit on the desktop until I "force" run Hazel rules once more.

I also have another rule that place downloaded files from a specific url into a folder. I use the "contain" argument and the rule works as it should, but again sometimes files get stuck and does not move. I check the file info and it does contain the part of the url I mention in the rule. And it does match when choosing preview rule. Right now I have some files that won't move even if I re-run the rules. Tried to stop and start Hazel a million times - no luck. Tried to log out and re-run rules - no luck. It seems that Hazel is busy as the rule in the menu icon gets greyed out, but nothing happens.

Tried to look in the log files of Hazel and the latest I got were these:

2009-02-07 08:08:29.660 (null)[0] File .DS_Store is busy. Skipping for now.
2009-02-07 08:19:38.808 (null)[0] Another hazelfolderwatch process is processing this directory. Exiting.

I run this on the latest version of Leopard on a new Intel iMac, Hazel and other software is updated to the latest version etc..

Any thoughts on this?
mcweb

I was about to re-install Hazel to see if that would fix things.... But of course wanted to export all my rules, so I did not have to type in all those again. But that was not possible since it is in evaluation mode.... :shock:

Guess I will have to wait and see if someone knows anything about this.
mcweb

Tried to "re-install" by overwriting current version with a new downloaded dmg file, and it seemed to install fine. But still no rules are working and I keep getting the:

(null)[0] Another hazelfolderwatch process is processing this directory. Exiting.

In the activity monitor only one instance of Hazel is running.

:roll:
mcweb

A re-start of the computer did the trick and the stuck files were moved.
Now I am curious about if this is a returning issue or not. I guess the next week will show.
mcweb

If there is a stuck process, it should show in Activity Monitor. If it is there, select it and do "View->Sample Process" and send me what that outputs.

When you check the preview, do things match as you think they should? Also, search the logs for the specific stuck files and see what happened to them. If they don't show up there and you are comfortable with the commandline, I suggest turning on debug mode:

http://www.noodlesoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=296

Email me whatever you find (click the "Contact Support" link in the "Info" tab) and hopefully we can figure out what's not working.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:If there is a stuck process, it should show in Activity Monitor. If it is there, select it and do "View->Sample Process" and send me what that outputs.

When you check the preview, do things match as you think they should? Also, search the logs for the specific stuck files and see what happened to them. If they don't show up there and you are comfortable with the commandline, I suggest turning on debug mode:

http://www.noodlesoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=296

Email me whatever you find (click the "Contact Support" link in the "Info" tab) and hopefully we can figure out what's not working.

In activity monitor only one instance was showing and it was not red or anything - it looked quite normal.

In preview mode the rules looked ok. For instance I downloaded 100 files or so, and about 80 was handled the right way by Hazel but 20 was not (but still showing right in preview).

The other day I was surfing the web for reference and inspiration and took around 20 screenshots. Again 15 or so was handled correct, and 5 were stuck on the desktop.

I will see if I can make the error happen again - right now I only got the logs I mentioned.
mcweb

The issue just happened once more.
I have mailed you the debug log and hope to hear from you soon.

Thomas
mcweb

Return to Support