Trying to Import Music into Itunes

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Trying to Import Music into Itunes Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:38 pm • by TylerGred
Hello,

I've recently started using Hazel and am having trouble getting it to do a certain action. I have a lot of music that I rip from cd to a specific folder. Once I edit, tag, update the file information I send it to my Music folder. Once the folder gets inside the "Music" folder, I'd like for Hazel to import it into my itunes library. I can't seem to get it to work, though.

Here is my current rules list for the "Music" folder.

If all of the conditions are met:

kind is music
date added is today

Do the following:
import into itunes library
run rules on folder contents (I'm not sure if I need this or not)

Basically, I have the Folder named by artist, inside I have folders named by albums, then inside I have the tracks.

I'm sure it's an easy and obvious fix, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
TylerGred

Re: Trying to Import Music into Itunes Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:41 am • by TylerGred
Here is another one I tried, but it only imported my files in the top level.

If all of the rules are met:

Sub-Folder Depth is greater than 0
Kind is music
Date added is Today

Do the following:
import into itunes library

I tried it without the date added rule and still nothing, but I read that Hazel will think the date added is today for all my files at first scan. So I erased my library and put the rule back in.

Any help would be appreciated.
TylerGred

Re: Trying to Import Music into Itunes Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:30 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I'm a bit unclear on the situation here. First off, do you have iTunes creating the artist/album/track structure or are you doing that yourself? And is that how things start or how you want them to end up?

Also, do you want Hazel to grab all files in all subfolders of Music or just those at the top. Note that if you want all subfolders, you have to be careful about the iTunes library itself since it is also a subfolder (but again, it depends on your answer to the first question above).

If you can shed some light on the above, I might be more able to figure out how to get the rules configured.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Trying to Import Music into Itunes Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:27 pm • by TylerGred
I apologize for being vague.

Mr_Noodle wrote:I'm a bit unclear on the situation here. First off, do you have iTunes creating the artist/album/track structure or are you doing that yourself? And is that how things start or how you want them to end up?

I'm running a program on my Windows computer called Tag and Rename. Once I rip the CD I make the artist and album folder and put the tracks in whichever album folder they belong.

Example: I rip the CD "Down on the Upside" by Soundgarden. I make a Folder labeled Soundgarden. I make another folder named after the album "Down on the Upside" and put the tracks in this folder. I then move "Down on the Upside" folder along with the tracks into the Soundgarden folder.

Soundgarden> Down on the Upside> Appropriate Tracks

When I move the "Soundgarden" folder to my Music folder on my Mac, I want Hazel to see that the tracks inside the folder "Down on the Upside" along with any other album in the folder and import them into itunes.

I used the Date added is Today so that whenever I do this for other albums in the future it will go ahead and import them.

Mr_Noodle wrote:Also, do you want Hazel to grab all files in all subfolders of Music or just those at the top. Note that if you want all subfolders, you have to be careful about the iTunes library itself since it is also a subfolder (but again, it depends on your answer to the first question above).

I guess to answer your question, I'd like Hazel to add the files in the subfolder and on top. However I can make a Misc. folder for all my singles if this is a problem. And as far as the itunes library itself, I turned off the "make copy of music to itunes library", but I'm not sure if that's what you were referring to or not.

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm new to the Mac world.

Thanks for your help and patience.
TylerGred

Re: Trying to Import Music into Itunes Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:57 pm • by Mr_Noodle
So, you are creating the folder structure, you just want it imported into iTunes without it copying anything.

In such a case, you just need to add a rule to tell Hazel to go into subfolders. Something like:

If Kind is Folder, Run rules on folder contents

This will cause Hazel to go into every subfolder (and it's subfolders and so on). Other rules can then be specified to deal with any non-folders.

Also, I'd recommend doing something like "Date added is in the last hour" or something like that. "Today" is based on the calendar notion of "today" so it resets at midnight. That means you can have a file come in right before midnight and if Hazel gets to it after midnight, that file will no longer be considered to have been added that day.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support