App Sweep, multiple users

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

App Sweep, multiple users Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:38 pm • by countach
It seems to me that if there are more than one user on a computer, and one deletes an app, but the other user is running Hazel, then App Sweep won't do anything.

Is this just a necessary limitation to App Sweep, or am I doing something wrong?
countach

Re: App Sweep, multiple users Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:47 pm • by Mr_Noodle
It is a limitation of AppSweep (and I imagine any other app uninstallers out there). The problem is that it runs with your permissions which means it can't go and delete files in other people's accounts. It could also be considered a bit dangerous to do that anyways.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: App Sweep, multiple users Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:52 pm • by countach
I'm not talking about deleting stuff from other people's account. I'm talking about detecting that another user has deleted an app, and deleting the corresponding setup files from your own account.

Does Hazel look for the app in the Trash to decide to activate itself, and to figure out what to delete? If so, I guess the problem would not being able to see other people's Trash.
countach

Re: App Sweep, multiple users Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:25 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Yeah, you still have the problem with other people's trash plus if you throw an app away and the trash gets emptied (or Hazel clears it out), the other users will never see the fact that is was thrown away.

I've added an entry in the feature database though there are some technical issues that would need to be worked out and it's probably not the most high priority item. Nonetheless, we'll see what happens. Thanks for raising the issue.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support