Subfolder loop

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Subfolder loop Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:06 am • by majisafi
Greetings,

I am new to Hazel and love the potential this software has. I seem to get my self in loops.

This is what I am attempting.

I would like a "dropbox" folder where I can drop other folders and have rules applied within them.
The first rule applied to the "dropbox" is: Run rules on subfolders
Then I have a rule that separates images into subfolders based on kind.

This is simple yet it keeps running the rule and creating folder after folder for the images.

What do I do so that once it creates subfolders for the images, they are not place in the "loop" and having new folders created for them?

If I drop a folder that I know has several types of image files and documents into the "dropbox" folder... this occurs based on my rules.

Thanks in advance

Lux
majisafi

Re: Subfolder loop Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:01 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Are you creating the destination/subfolders somewhere under "dropbox"? If so, then yes, it's possible you would make it loop.

The rule to go into subfolders should have additional criteria to filter out the destination folders. You can specify them by name if it's a fixed set or you can prefix those folders with some word that you can filter on. You can also have it create subfolders under a different folder or under a specific folder that you can filter out.

Let me know if you need more clarification or if I've misunderstood the problem.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support