Preserve File Creation and Modification Date / Time Stamp

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hi,

I am using a script to change a photo's file create and modify timestamp based on EXIF data and it's working fine. But the moment I sort it and save into sub-folders on a network drive (NAS) via Hazel, the move itself changes the file's create and modify timestamp to the date & time of the move itself (note that it's going to the right folders though, just the date / time stamp is changed)

How do I move the files but yet still preserving the original create and modify date / time stamp?

Thank you.
kaiwei

I'm surprised it's changing the create time in this case. How about running the script after the move?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

I think it's because the files (on a ZFS filesystem) is being created anew and then del from the old location (as part of the move) hence the date and timestamp changed.

I have to run the script first to get the timestamp right in order to sort properly by that.

Any other ideas or is there some flags I can change or scrpt to "move" instead to preserve the timestamp? Thank you.
kaiwei

Sort into subfolders do a move so not sure how doing a move would fix anything. I would run the script again then after the move since it seems to be an issue with ZFS.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support