Rename Alias for Destination Folder?

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Rename Alias for Destination Folder? Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:40 pm • by Flynntargart
Hey all,

Got one that I can't quite get to work...

I'm editing a podcast and each episode we wind up with a handful of funny outtakes. I like to keep them in the same folder as the source files, in this case ~/Podcast/Episodes/Episode ###/Outtakes/. However, I have a folder at the same level as Episodes called Outtakes. Creating a rule to make an alias of folders named "outtakes" in the Podcast/Outtakes folder was easy. :)

Now, the weird part.

I now have two dozen or so aliases in Outtakes called "outtake-1", "outtake-2", "outtake-3", etc. It would be great if I could have those aliases be renamed to include the name of the folder they were copied from? The new names would be "outtakes from Episode ###" (I would use a find/replace to change "outtake" to "outtakes from ").

This would be super handy as we don't always have outtakes, so equating the "-#" to the episode number doesn't really work...

Thanks in advance!
Flynntargart

Re: Rename Alias for Destination Folder? Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:56 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Hazel does not follow aliases so you can't really use the conditions to match/use the info from the file that the alias points to. In such a case, you'll have to use a script to grab that info.

Alternatively, you can have Hazel create the alias for each outtakes file and rename it itself.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support