Pulling Files only out of folder tree

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Pulling Files only out of folder tree Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:58 pm • by rrector
Hi,

I've read a number of posts - including the sticky about how to get Hazel into subfolders - but for some reason I can't figure out how to have Hazel pull files out of a folder tree. If anyone could help me with the rule structure that would be great.

What I'm trying to do is have Hazel look into a specific folder, pull out every file (NOT folder - files only) and then move those files to one folder. Basically unsort, however deep the file structure - although it's usually only one or two levels. Every time I try this the way I think it should work it moves the folders and structure to the new folder - I just want the files.

Can anyone help me with the rule structure? It can't be that hard but I'm stuck.

Thanks!
rrector

Re: Pulling Files only out of folder tree Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:53 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Can you post what you have so far?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Pulling Files only out of folder tree Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:12 pm • by rrector
Hopefully this gives you enough to go on:

If all
Kind is Folder

Run rules on folder contents
Move to folder Images

I'm trying to just pull the files buried in folders (not the folder structure itself) out to one folder.

Any suggestions appreciated.
rrector

Re: Pulling Files only out of folder tree Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:25 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Read the sticky article again. You need to split your logic into separate rules, one to operate on folders (to tell Hazel to go into them) and another to operate on the files.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Pulling Files only out of folder tree Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:26 pm • by rrector
I've read the post several times and it still doesn't make sense.

I get splitting the logic and having Hazel go into the folders - what doesn't seem to work is just moving the files and not the whole folder structure. It doesn't just move files - it moves everything.
rrector

Re: Pulling Files only out of folder tree Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:21 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Can you post your rules? It sounds like your rule that matches folders is also moving them but seeing the actual rules should clear things up.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support