rules wont run on external drive

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

rules wont run on external drive Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:30 am • by thegerms@comcast.net
I can't get any rules to run on a particular partition of an external drive. The drive is split into 2 partitions, and Hazel runs rules fine on partition A, but not at all on partition B. There are also no logs for attempts to run any rules on partition B.

Partition B is removed from Spotlights indexing system, could this be the cause?

BTW I am in demo mode. And so far I LOVE this app.
thegerms@comcast.net

Re: rules wont run on external drive Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:35 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Hazel does use Spotlight for many of its features but it should still be able to run. Are you seeing anything in the logs when running rules manually? Also, what do you see in the preview (it's located in the "gear" menu) for that folder?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

The log shows nothing. The logs work when I use Hazel on another drive, so it shows previous logs, but nothing new when I run it manually on this external non-indexed drive. No errors, no notifications. Just sits there with a blank stare.

I did take this drive out of Spotlight's 'privacy' list, and after 6 hours of indexing (I'm on a Tiger g4), the Hazel's triggered Growl messages started popping up! That was apparently the issue.
thegerms@comcast.net

Re: rules wont run on external drive Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:32 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I'm guessing that it was running but that nothing was matching (because of the lack of Spotlight). In any case, glad it's up and running for you now.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support