Crash on saving an edit to embedded script

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

I have an issue where Hazel seems to be crashing the System Preferences. It occurs when I edit an embedded script on an existing rule. If I cancel out, nothing happens, but if I save it, System Preferences crashes. The rule is properly saved, and Hazel does not crash.

I don't know what logs would be helpful in diagnosing this issue.

Thanks!
josephbphillips

First off, make sure you are running the latest version (2.2.3 as of this writing).

Is there a specific script that is doing it or does it happen for any script you edit? If you could dig up the crash logs, that would be great. Go to your Library/Logs/CrashReporter folder and look for a file starting with "System Preferences". The file name will also have the date of the crash to help you isolate which file is the relevant one. If you could email that to me (click on the "Contact Support" link in Hazel's "Info" pane), I can better assess what's going wrong.

Thanks.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Thanks for emailing me the crash report and script. I think what is happening is that that the Script Assistant, which does text completion while you are typing after a delay, kicks in after you already dismissed the editor, thus causing the crash.

I'll look into fixing it in the next release but in the meantime, you can turn off the Script Assistant in the "Editing" preferences in Script Editor. Yes, Hazel actually uses Script Editor's preferences for editing AppleScript. That should prevent the crashes until I can get a fix out.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Disabling Script Assistant seems to have fixed the crashes.

Thanks!
josephbphillips

Return to Support