Using Hazel while with Parental Controls

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Using Hazel while with Parental Controls Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:29 pm • by nmurthy
Hi

I am trying to setup some computers for a school video editing lab. We want to use Hazel to clean up our desktops at the end of each school week, but we are having a conflict with the parental controls.

The computers are running OS X Leopard, I have created a separate login for the students to use. In this login I have blocked their access to the system preferences. This is necessary as we don't want students changing any of the computer settings. Unfortunately this prevents Hazel from running as its controls appear on the System Preferences screen.

Is there some way to work around this problem either within parental controls or through Hazel itself? To reiterate the problem is that Hazel is blocked from cleaning the desktop when access to the System Preferences is blocked.

If we can't find a way we will have to manually lean the desktops every week. Needless to say we would like to avoid this so if anyone has had a similar problem any advice on how they handled it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Nikhil
nmurthy

I don't have experience with this though my guess is that Hazel will probably still run (the rules are actually processed by a different background process) but that you won't be able to configure them.

I guess it's not possible to only block access to specific preference panes? If you just want Hazel to run rules without allowing people to change them, you can try creating the rules using an unblocked account and importing those rules into each of the other accounts. This would require temporarily unblocking them but I think afterwards, it should still run the rules.

If you need more help on this, feel free to post here or email me and we'll see if we can figure out something.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support