Newbie request: Help with some basic shell scripting

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hi all,

I'm new to Hazel and pretty much new to shell scripting (I've done a very little of it in the past), I've managed to set up a few simple Hazel housekeeping tasks on my computer and would now like to branch out into more ambitious (or so it seems to me) task management with Hazel.

An obvious use for Hazel would be to replace Macaroni, a handy Preference panel that I've used for several years to force daily, weekly, and monthly UNIX maintenance scripts to run on my Mac, if the computer is sleeping at the 3 AM time at which these scripts are usually run. (I know that Leopard was supposed to be able to deal with this situation on its own, but I've read several Mac-related sites that indicate that delayed running of these scripts is still not handled consistently.) Macaroni is a fine tool, but it seems to me now redundant, as Hazel can handle this sort of timed launch of a shell script on its own.

I'd appreciate any advice that someone here can give me some direction, perhaps a short tutorial in setting up one of these shell scripts in Hazel?

Thanks,

TH
tharpold

If you want scripts run at a specific absolute time, you are better off using something like Macaroni (or cron, if you are commandline oriented). Hazel is more for time-based stuff relative to a file.

That said, I've considered adding some sort of support for this in some form but am still not sure. For now, though, I'd suggest you keeping using what works for you now.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support