Move By Date

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Move By Date Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:03 am • by LordKrO
So here's the story I have 1.7Tb of data that my users (bout 50) all of wich are "Live" and is all needed but Ionly want to keep work that was accessed withing the last 30 days as actual live data. anything older will be moved to an archive drive and then archived to tape.

What I need Hazel to do for me is this:
Scan the User's home folder and any folder not accessed within the last 30 days or so gets moved to Archive.

The problem I'm having at the moment is that Hazel moves the folder and it's contents but I need it to preserve the folder structure aswell.

so all I end up with is the "OLD DATA" folder when I actually need the "/User/data/My documents/stuff/OLD DATA" so that I'd be able to catalog it and then archive it to tape.. the rest of the folder structure must be blank but it needs to be preserved so that I know where it came from for restore purposes

Can this be done with HAZEL ?
LordKrO

Re: Move By Date Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:54 pm • by Mr_Noodle
If I understand you correctly, you want to preserve the parent folders up to a certain point or all the way up to root? If you move the folder, the folder structure underneath would be preserved.

I don't think there's any good way of doing it with the built in actions. You'd have to use a script or somesuch. I'll think about adding maybe something like a parent folder token that you can substitute in but otherwise I think a script is the only way to go at this point.

If you have any more questions, let me know.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support