Help on rearranging file names

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Help on rearranging file names Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:15 pm • by cdogg44
I subscribe to my local paper and they offer a PDF version to download. I like this option as I can breeze through it quickly, search for names or places, and also save as an archive. Due to their clunky Flash based viewer and downloader I have not found a way to automate daily downloading, but I have set up Hazel to pull the file out of my Downloads folder and move it to a folder where I keep all of them.

This has worked well but with the new year I have hit a snag on the file structure. The files are named for the date of the paper, 12-31-2014, for instance. The problem is now I have 1-1-2015 files mixed in with the previous year. Is there a way to have Hazel reorder the file names to a more proper 2015-1-1 order?

I have tried using the "Date Created" option to rename, but I sometimes fall behind and will download multiple days at once, resulting in the same filename for different papers.

I have resorted to placing the files in yearly folders (2014, 2015, etc.) but would much prefer to have them all in one folder.

Thanks
cdogg44

Re: Help on rearranging file names Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:32 pm • by Mr_Noodle
If the date is in the file name, you can create a custom date attribute to match it, then use that attribute in the rename, altering how it prints the date back out. Search the help for "match patterns" for more information on how to do this.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support