Any way to have Hazel change "Date Created" on files?

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Anyone know of a way to have Hazel change the "Date Created" of a file?

When saving images from the web, I have a folder I drop them into and then they get added to iPhoto. However, iPhoto doesn't allow you to sort by "date added", and since some files have creation dates embedded, they can get bumped in the ordering. In other words, if the photo has a date created in 2004, but I save it in 2008, I want the photo's info in iPhoto to reflect the date I saved it, not the original creation date.

I'd like Hazel to be able to change the "date created" setting to avoid all this for certain images. I did some searching for an application or AppleScript, but I wasn't really sure what to search for, and what I did search for did not give me any useful results. I found a contextual menu plugin, but not sure I can use that with Hazel: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9104/fileutilscm-x
gcoghill

People commonly use the "touch" command but it only modifies the modification and/or access times. If you have the dev tools installed, there's the SetFile program which can be used to change the creation date. If you don't have the dev tools, drop me an email and I can send you a copy of the program. You should be able to invoke it from a shell script to do what you want.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support