Trash Maintenance Doesn't Work

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Trash Maintenance Doesn't Work Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:37 am • by grovberg
So I'm trying to use the "Keep Trash size under" option and it just doesn't seem to work. I've got mine set to "Keep Trash size under 80GB" and currently there sits around 85GB in the trash. I've also got Oversized files set to deleted immediately.

Any suggestions? I'm not even sure how to troubleshoot.
grovberg

Re: Trash Maintenance Doesn't Work Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:36 am • by Mr_Noodle
Maybe there are files Hazel can't delete (permissions or the file is locked)? Also, the limit is on a per drive basis so if you have multiple drives, it may be possible to have greater than 80G total across all drives.

You can check the logs by going to the "Info" tab and clicking "View Log". If you don't see anything in the logs, you can also turn on debug mode (see sticky article in this forum) to get more information. Just remember to turn it off when you are done. If you find anything, feel free to post/email me the logs.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Trash Maintenance Doesn't Work Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:38 pm • by MMD
I've had this problem repeatedly, wherein Hazel will not be able to delete an item from trash (the most recent being Google SketchUp:

Code: Select all
2009-03-20 20:15:52.133 (null)[0] File Google SketchUp 6 has been sitting in the trash for too long. Purging.
2009-03-20 20:15:52.133 hazelfolderwatch[458] Removing Google SketchUp 6.
2009-03-20 20:15:52.134 hazelfolderwatch[458] Could not remove Google SketchUp 6: {
    Error = "Error removing";
    Path = "/Users/Matt/.Trash/Google SketchUp 6";
}
2009-03-20 20:15:52.135 hazelfolderwatch[458] [Error] Could not remove file: File Google SketchUp 6 could not be removed from the Trash.

The log does not say much more than that the file could not be removed. I should point out that the file in question WILL be deleted if I "Empty Trash" through the Finder.

My other problem with Hazel not be able to do what it claims is iPhoto imports. I have yet to see Hazel successfully import a photo after I've downloaded it to a watched folder. Hazel TRIES, but Growl always tells me the import failed.

I have no idea whether the two are related, though both COULD be permissions-related.
MMD

Re: Trash Maintenance Doesn't Work Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:26 pm • by Mr_Noodle
The trash thing is most likely a permissions issue. One question: do you have Hazel set to remove files securely? If so, there are more stringent permissions requirements than non-secure deletion. If you can send me a dump of the permissions, I can better assess what's going on.

As for the import, you need to check the logs. If there was an error importing, the logs will give a more specific code or reason.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support