Sorting into enclosing folders by size

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Sorting into enclosing folders by size Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:54 am • by Rwik
I currently have a folder on my main hard drive into which I download photos from my camera. Hazel sorts incoming images into subfolders by image date, and that works just fine.

However, I would also like to be able to sort (or copy) these dated subfolders chronologically into enclosing folders that are limited in size to that of a standard DVD so that I can do three things with them: burn backups, move them to an external drive, and delete them from the original folder to free up space on the main hard drive.

Obviously it would help to be notified when an enclosing folder is "full" and ready to process.

Any ideas?
Rwik

Re: Sorting into enclosing folders by size Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:33 am • by Mr_Noodle
This one is a bit tricky. While you can monitor the parent folder of the subfolders and check folder size, depending on timing, it may not detect the size until it's over the limit. You would also have to make sure you move that folder out of the way so that the Hazel process moving files into the folders doesn't keep adding them while you are doing the backup.

This might be better done in a script or Automator action of some sort though you'd have to play with it to see.

So, the imperfect solution as I see it would go as follows:

- For the folder containing the dated subfolders, have some rule to move them into a "DVD" folder of some sort.
- Have Hazel monitor the parent of this "DVD" folder and if the size is greater than 4G or so, move the folder somewhere else, do a Growl notification and then do the backup (part of which will have to be done by script/Automator as Hazel doesn't have a "Burn Disc" action).

Again, there is still the timing issue where the "DVD" folder is not moved away in time but it's possible it's a rare case. You can also lower the size threshold to provide a buffer.

Let me know if the above makes sense or if you need more assistance.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support