rules matching, files not moving

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

rules matching, files not moving Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:00 pm • by rmnelson
Hazel: 3.3.1

Hazel is matching rules but the files are not moving to the appropriate folder. When I test the rules I get a yellow exclamation point badge on each document including all with matched rules and those without. Hovering over the badge shows "hazel invalid applescript return value: <NSAAppleEventDescriptor: null()>." Turned Hazel off. Repaired permissions. Restarted computer. Repaired permissions again. Turned Hazel on. Same problem.

May have started with install of Yosemite. At this point it appears that none of my rules are working to completion. Rules all end with document going into Dropbox. Reselected destination folder in rule without effect.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
rmnelson

Re: rules matching, files not moving Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:30 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Are you using an AppleScript in a rule condition? If so, make sure that it returns either true or false in all conditions. In the past, it was more lax and would interpret nothing returned as "false" but it's more strict now and you have to explicitly return one of those values.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: rules matching, files not moving Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:44 pm • by rmnelson
No applescripts in any of the misfiring rules.

I just tried uninstalling Hazel, restart, reinstall, import rules. No help.
Last edited by rmnelson on Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rmnelson

Re: rules matching, files not moving Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:51 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Can you email in the rules in question?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: rules matching, files not moving Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:38 pm • by rmnelson
The fix was to remove applescripts from all my rules. I've only used applescript to pull dates from pdfs, and have been switching to date match anyway. So there were about 10 rules that still used applescript and once I disabled them the remaining rules worked fine. I've now fixed all the broken rules and all is well. Thanks!

Richard
rmnelson

Return to Support