Indicate folders with current matches in Folder List

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Is there a(n optional) way to indicate which folders in the Folder List currently have matches in the Folder List in the Hazel System Preferences pane? I'm hoping there's something like a dot (like the one next to new mail in Mail) or highlight color or something that can be enabled at the top level interface. It would be especially great if this also showed which rules were being matched if a folder happens to be selected so that its rules are visible.

I'm looking for more at-a-glance feedback of progress than the eye button under the Folder List or the Debug mode provide. I don't necessarily need the details that either of those provide all the time. I want to see that there are current/pending/in progress matches so that I can then check for more details — for why a match is or is not appearing for a given folder — with the eye button.
jaharmi

No way at the moment. Can you provide more information as to why you would need this? Given that it may be resource intensive to keep something like this updated in a passive capacity, it would be nice to have more specifics about how and why you would use this.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

I have a multi-step workflow. Each step moves the matched photos/movies from one folder to the next. I keep having to fix it as I encounter new situations.

I can't see matches for any particular stage in the workflow at a glance. It would be nice to see which folders have a current match with something like a dot next to those folders. Essentially, while developing or troubleshooting the workflow, I want to trace the program flow from folder to folder.

If showing an indicator of matches not something that could be passively done all the time, I'd personally benefit from a mode where that could be turned on. If such a capability was tucked away, something like the hidden "Debug mode" checkbox, I would still find that useful.
jaharmi

Note that this may not work how you like. For example, a file can match and be processed but can end up still matching the same rule. In such a case, it won't re-run the actions necessarily but it is still considered matching. You may find that it's not showing you the type of status you want it to.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support