Moving FIles from Subfolder

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Moving FIles from Subfolder Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:21 pm • by manonlaco
Greetings! I'm not sure if the follow situation is viable through Hazel:

I'd like Hazel to monitor a specific folder; when Hazel see's the name of a sub-folder contained within this folder matching a specific name, I would like Hazel to move all of the files contained within that sub-folder to another folder.

For example, the top level folder would be "pictures". Contained within the folder "Pictures" are various sub-folders named by creation date (20141001, 20141002, etc). Contained within each sub-folder is a sub-sub-folder named "email".

If any of the sub-sub-folders named "email" contained within any of the sub-folders are renamed to some preset name, for example "leroyemail" I would like Hazel to move all of the files contained within "leroyemail" to another preset folder.

Is Hazel capable of this type of functionality, or am I barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks in advance for your assistance and insight.
manonlaco

Re: Moving FIles from Subfolder Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:28 am • by digitalworkshed
I am also wondering about the same exact thing! Anybody out there who can give their opinion about this?
digitalworkshed

Re: Moving FIles from Subfolder Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:34 am • by Mr_Noodle
First off, read the sticky article at the top of this forum on going into subfolders.

Once you have that in place, you'll need to create a rule to move the files. One way to do this is:

Code: Select all
If (all) are met
    If (all) are met for the (enclosing folder)
        Name matches leroyemail
    <whatever other conditions>
Do
    Move to <wherever>

To get the nested condition, hold down the option key while clicking the + button to create a new condition. You can then set the target to the enclosing folder. What that rule basically does is match files whose enclosing folder has the name "leroyemail" which is what I believe you want.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Moving FIles from Subfolder Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:54 pm • by manonlaco
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

Now that the files have been moved to the correct location, how would I automate the moving of "leroyemail" to the trash?
manonlaco

Re: Moving FIles from Subfolder Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:04 am • by Mr_Noodle
I'm assuming the folder is empty at this point? If so, just create another rule to match that folder when it is empty and move it to the trash.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support