Limit the number of moving files per rule-processing

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hi Folks,

following Situation / Vision for Workflow

I have an "Inbox-Folder", which will be filled automatically with some Files (100+) and an "Processing-Folder" (has not contain more than 3 Sub-Items (Files/Folder).
In the Processing Folder i'm Processing something. (renaming, zipping, whatever)
When I'm Finish with my Proecessing, the Item (File/Folder) while leave the the "Processing-Folder" forever.
Now i've setup a Ruleset which is moving files from the "Inbox-Folder into the "Processing-Folder", when the number of Items (Folders/Files) is less than three.

Most of this Ruleset is working nice.

With the exception of the Moving/Refill-Part of the "Processing-Folder".
When the Rule start Moving Files from Inbox to Processing-Folder, Hazel moves all Files that match.
For this Rule i need, that Hazel is moving only one File per Rule Processing (the First) file which is fitting the parameters (Size is not 0 bytes).

Any Ideas?
Last edited by rg-87 on Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rg-87

If I'm following you correctly, the problem is you are basing the rules for a file based on its destination folder. You'll probably need to write a script to do that. Is it really necessary for the Processing folder to not have that many files? Can't whatever it doing the processing just operate on one file at a time regardless of what other files are there?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

If I'm following you correctly, the problem is you are basing the rules for a file based on its destination folder.

Correct, if the number of items is less than 3, than move something from the big bunch of files to the processing-folder.
Until the File is processed by me and removed from the processing-folder.
Now the count of Items is less than 3 again and the Magic-Hazel starts again. :-)

Is it really necessary for the Processing folder to not have that many files?

Not Really, because it is filed by another Hazel-Rule also. (Move Files, created older than 24-Hours from Inbox-Review-Folder on a Network-Drive to my Local Inbox-Folder on my Laptop)

Can't whatever it doing the processing just operate on one file at a time regardless of what other files are there?

Yes, processing means i must read some Documents, viewing Images, watching short Movies or listen Voice-Recordings from different Customers.
I'm sorting this in some Case-Folders or is a reason for E-Mail Answers to Customers, or Mail-Requests to the RnD-Department.

Why just 3 Items in the Process-Folder? Because the average Worktime on every case is by 10 minutes.
This Workflow suits best for me, when i need to work offline during a 30-35 Minutes Train-Ride.
I hope this is more detailed now.
rg-87

Instead of splitting it up into two folders, why not just have the rule do the whole workflow? That assures that things are handled one by one. You can color the file being processed if you need to.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:Instead of splitting it up into two folders, why not just have the rule do the whole workflow? That assures that things are handled one by one. You can color the file being processed if you need to.

Sorry, but this is not Possible, the Source-Folder is a Network Drive on a Server on the other side of the World.
Regarding low bandwidth and high latency i try work as less as i can with the source folder.
That's the reason why i'm working with the local folder on my Laptop which is filled in the Background by the Hazel-Rules from the Source-Folder.
rg-87

I guess I'm still not clear on the 3 item limit. Maybe you need to explain to me why the extra files just can't be ignored.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support