Removing a tag after a file has been opened

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Removing a tag after a file has been opened Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:35 am • by palsi
Hey all,
I've been running into this problem recently. I have a rule setup for my downloads folder that any files downloaded from my university's course websites automatically get sorted into the appropriate folder for that course and marked with the tag "Unread." This is so I can collect all the materials I have not yet reviewed. However, I'm having trouble creating a rule that would remove that tag after I've reviewed the material based on the "date last opened" criteria.

My original idea was if date last opened is more recent than date created, remove tag. But since date last opened is already later than date created by seconds/milliseconds I cannot use that criteria. I've thought about trying to use "if opened in the last 5 minutes" but it wouldn't really work for files I open immediately and would instantly remove the "unread" tag for any files that get added immediately from the downloads folder (since date last opened is milliseconds after date created for brand new files).

Anyone have some creative ways to go about removing the "unread" tag once I've opened/viewed a file? Sincere thanks in advance.
palsi

Not sure how Hazel can tell the difference between the normal case and files you open immediately. Also, how did these files get a date last opened in the first place? Is that some quirk from the program you are using to download them?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Removing a tag after a file has been opened Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:14 pm • by palsi
Mr_Noodle wrote:Not sure how Hazel can tell the difference between the normal case and files you open immediately. Also, how did these files get a date last opened in the first place? Is that some quirk from the program you are using to download them?

Haven't thought that maybe it was due to the download process. I'm using Chrome. Does Chrome automatically label the files as "Opened" if I download them?
palsi

Not sure as I don't use Chrome much. Try with Safari and see if you get the same result. In general, it should be "blank". Also, when checking dates, select the file and do "Get Info". The dates shown in other places in Finder may be false (i.e. filled in by some other date if it actually is blank).
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Removing a tag after a file has been opened Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:01 pm • by palsi
Mr_Noodle wrote:Not sure as I don't use Chrome much. Try with Safari and see if you get the same result. In general, it should be "blank". Also, when checking dates, select the file and do "Get Info". The dates shown in other places in Finder may be false (i.e. filled in by some other date if it actually is blank).

It seems like this is the real problem. I assumed the Date Last Opened was correct as labeled in Finder. However, running rules with "is blank" and "is not blank" seems to fix it. Thanks.
palsi

Return to Support