Help creating a new rule

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Help creating a new rule Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:55 am • by Slveer
I am having trouble setting up a rule

I currently on a daily basis sync a local folder from a server at school to one on my computer. The server folder is divided into several different folders and subfolders so for my anatomy class I would have the anatomy folder and 4 different folders for the various professors. This is the same for the rest of my classes histology, Embryology, etc.

I currently use transmit to sync the server folder to my local folder on a daily basis in order to transfer the most recent published notes. I then move the files downloaded to the correct folders on my computer.

What I would like to do is create a rule that will find only the new documents either PDF’s or powerpoints and move them all directly to the desktop after the daily sync. This would save me time so I wouldn’t have to dig around in the different folders looking for the new presentations.

Thanks
Slveer

Re: Help creating a new rule Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:19 pm • by Mr_Noodle
A general rule to pick out all the PDF's or PowerPoints would need two rules. One to traverse all the subfolders and another to actually move the files. It would go something like:

"If Kind is folder, Run rules on folder contents"
"If Kind is PDF or Kind is Presentation, Move to <wherever>"

When drilling down into subfolders, I highly recommend either doing it on a test folder/files first or stopping Hazel and using the Preview function. People tend to not fully grasp how it works and are sometimes surprised.

The problem with the above, though, is that I'm not sure how to detect when you do the sync. The way it stands, it will move the files as soon as it encounters them (which is probably not what you want). If you can get Transmit to do something like set the color labels on the files after the sync, then you can try and detect that in the Hazel rules.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support