Tag files within a folder

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Tag files within a folder Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:53 pm • by canon10
Hi!
I'm rather new to Hazel but well into neat and organized info flow.

I have made some obvious rules and Hazel is juts great BUT;

A) How can i make Hazel add a comment (Tag) to all files put into a specific folder?
B) Is there any way to make the comment just as the folder name whatever that may be?

I look forward to plowing through these forums btw - nice tricks to assimilate I sense ;)

/D
canon10

Re: Tag files within a folder Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:05 pm • by Mr_Noodle
A) Depending on what you want, you could do a rule like:

"If Any File, Add comment <whatever>"

Note that this would also tag folders you put in that folder. If you want to specifically tag regular files, you could something like:

"If Kind is Document, Add comment <whatever>"

B) Not sure exactly what you mean here. Do you want to set the comment to the folder name? There's no way to do it in a generic fashion but since, when creating the rule, you know what folder it is in, you can just set the comment specifically to that folder. Or am I misunderstanding what you want?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Thanks for your answers!

Ok, I'll try to be clearer as I have played around w Hazel a bit more;
I'm trying to address the problem of a huge file amount from both ends it would seem:

A) I want Hazel to ad a tag to a file as soon as i put it in a collection folder (i.e Inbox). The tag should be the first part of the file name (date or whatever) which helps me to initially assign a file to an area that I'm dealing with.

B) Then I need Hazel to move that same file based on the Tag it previously acquiered to a folder with the name that corresponds to the tag. I'll name the folders to correspond to the tags of course.

C) I will then add more specific tags using Leap and Tagbot on a more individual level to be able to search in a more efficient way.

D) finally I then use Hazel to monitor the amount of files within folders, move after given rules and label according to dates and other goodies of course.

But that is jut to facilitate visual order of the files and not necessarily help find them easier (talking about 200+ files /folder with specific tags (@energy @constructing @illumination @ project X) and some 100+ folders
Since I have 200+ GB of files to keep in a way that the information IS USEFUL I cannot ONLY use folder structure. Nor do regular searches perform well since they yield too many result hits.
Tags are the only way of coming up with a decent number of hits of a related topic where ever the information may be.
So it's a mix of Hierarchy and Tagsonomi that I want Hazel to help me with basically ;) (among other fun stuff)
I of course tried DevontThink Pro and other database apps but haven't found them to comply in my liking with a huge database and my purposes.

Here is a grid that I follow and that should be of interest when dealing with searching and organizing files structures and information managemet.

HIERARCHIES FACETED SYSTEMS TAGSONOMIES
SCOPE GOOD* MEDIOCRE POOR
GUIDED NAVIGATION EXCELLENT* MEDIOCRE POOR
FLEXIBILITY POOR EXCELLENT EXCELLENT
STORING SEMANTICS POOR EXCELLENT MEDIOCRE
EASE OF USE POOR MEDIOCRE EXCELLENT

Sorry for the elongated answer but I wanted the purpose to be clear to avoid my obvious shortcomings in the use of Hazel.
I'm always interested in opinions on how to best manage information if anyone is intersted in all that...

/Dom
canon10

Re: Tag files within a folder Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:51 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Is there a reason why you are assigning a tag based on filename? If you want to just file stuff into subfolders based on the name, you can cut out that step and do it directly. Try playing with the "Sort into subfolders" action. If that tag is only used for filing, then it is unnecessary (plus depending on how you do it, Hazel will probably not be able to do it).

As for (D), I'd need to know more about what you are trying to do to say whether Hazel can do it.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Tag files within a folder Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:43 pm • by canon10
Thanks again for your answer!

No, tagging is for search purposes onle but i also wanted to get the folder structure at the same time as downloading and naming the file is all.
This to both have a tag added and build a relevant folder structure depending on parts of the file name.

I have played with the place in subfolders and its great. And ill use it on some of my folders.
I have no further questions for D and it seems that i cannot use Hazel without writing a script to do the rule 2;

rule 1: folder "downloads" - any file - file name contains "X" DO add comment "X" to file
rule 2: move file with comment "X" to folder "X" (for all different variations of X)

On a different subject;
I have created rules for "added date is today" to mark files in blue etc but somehow it adds all files already in the folder!
When i make the same rule to make alisaes elsewhere it adds aliases for all existing files in the folder (even the ones added a long time ago) and it keeps adding the same aliases every 15 seconds or so!!! adding sequenced numbers to new aliases.
I have to check the manual again it seems.

regards /Dom
canon10

Re: Tag files within a folder Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:13 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Actually, you can do rule 2. Try using "Comment matches ..." and create a custom token. Look up "match patterns" in the Help on how to do this.

As for date added, keep in mind that Hazel records this, not OS X, so any files it sees for the first time are "just added". Check the FAQ here: http://www.noodlesoft.com/faq.php#U4

As for aliases constantly being created, I'd need to see the rule in question. If you email me a screenshot of the rule, I can better assist you.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Tag files within a folder Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:21 pm • by canon10
great - I'll check that out.
thanks for that.
I'll email you a screen shot of the problem.
canon10

Return to Support