Feature Request - Change File's "Date Modified"

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Like many others, I use Hazel to automatically rename & file a variety of bills and statements that I receive monthly. My process is typically:

1. Determine if a PDF file matches my criteria
2. Search that PDF & extract the relevant date (this used to be done with shell scripts but now can be done by Hazel
3. Rename the filename and include a YYYY-MM-DD in the filename
4. Use a shell script to "touch" the file and change the modified date to that same YYYY-MM-DD
5. File/sort the filename somewhere else

I'd like to see Hazel be able to do #4 internally. Essentially, this would be an action to "Change file date." It could have various features such as selecting which dates to change (created, modified, etc.). The most critical one would be to be able to use a variable to select that date. So when I learn the date from a file using Hazel's "contain match" feature, I can automatically pass that date to this Hazel action.

Right now, I still need to use a shell script to take care of step #4. That step has to extract YYYY-MM-DD from the new filename and then use a touch command to update it. It'd simplify things so much to be able to do all of this in Hazel without using any shell scripts at all.

Thanks!
ManhattanBeachBum

I believe I already answered this in email. If not, reply back.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:I believe I already answered this in email. If not, reply back.

You did. Thank you. I posted here in case others wanted to chime in.
ManhattanBeachBum

I'd like Hazel to do this. Example so that my resume always shows its been modified recently even if I haven't touched it for months.

Ian

PS. Answering someones question with I thought I replied to this by email without including the contents of the email is 'bad show'
taguntumi

Return to Support