Processing archive files

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Processing archive files Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:42 am • by edasque
Hi all,

I have had a rule to process archive file for a little while but it's not ideal. What it does is:
• Move file to "Archives"
• Unarchive file
• Move file to Folder Trash

Unfortunately what happens as a result is:
• Moves archive files to Archives
• Moves file to Trash
• Unarchive within Trash.

I think the problem is that the unarchiving happens in parallel with the moving to trash and as a result both files (original and exploded) end up in the trash. Is there anyway to prevent this from happening ? I was thinking of including an AppleScript that would wait one minute but it's kinda hackish.

Help appreciated.
edasque

Re: Processing archive files Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:10 am • by KotrlNoodle
Shouldn't this be in the Support forum?

I may be wrong on this one, but I think the "Unarchive" action already moves the file to the trash, no need to include the extra steps.

However, for other files like Installer Packages, I think you need a second rule that will ensure the package is not deleted before the installation is completed. If anyone else knows a better solution please do share.
KotrlNoodle

Re: Processing archive files Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:07 pm • by Mr_Noodle
(I moved the topic here since this is the more appropriate place)

KotrlNoodle is correct. The unarchive action gets rid of the archive. Any actions after the unarchive action operate on the unarchived file/folder which is why you were seeing both thrown away. Just get rid of the "Move to trash" action and it should work as expected.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support