Watching multiple subfolders

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Watching multiple subfolders Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:55 am • by JStewart
Hello community,

I've spent the better part of my day with the free trial version of Hazel. I'm very impressed with the software's functionality and I believe it is the answer I've been looking for if only I could unlock my current mystery.

I'm taking over as a server admin for a military unit that receives still and motion imagery from several other subordinate units. Each unit submits imagery to a designated folder and I'd like to automate the notification process as much as possible. Our procedures request submitters send us an email after sending imagery; however, that seldom happens and I'd like to make life easier for my submitters.

I've scoured the FAQ and forums and found mounds of useful information related to working with subfolders, Applescripts, even Automator. Each iteration I attempt just doesn't produce the result I'm looking for.

What I'd like to have happen (in a perfect world) is have Hazel monitor my top level directory -- called Homes. Each time a submitter uploads imagery into their unit's folder -- lets say Osan -- I'd like Hazel to send one email notification tallying the total number of new images added into that folder at that time. I managed to get this email function working, but I was sending an email for each photo (I ended up with 478 emails :P).

I have SEVERAL subfolders (around 30) that would need to be monitored in this fashion. My team handles all the work moving and archiving images for security reasons, but it would be super useful if I could get this notification email idea nailed down. I believe Hazel is up to the task, but I'm not sure which route to take. I'm open to any suggestions and guidance anyone here can offer.

Thanks for taking time to help!

James
JStewart

Re: Watching multiple subfolders Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:45 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I think in this case you should not go into subfolders (I assume all the folders are at the top level?) and instead have the rules match the subfolders themselves. If you only care about files being added or removed from the folders, you can match on the folders modification date like:

Kind is Folder
Date last modified is after date last matched

That will catch any changes to the folder. You can then email or do whatever you need in response. This won't catch changes to the files themselves though.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Watching multiple subfolders Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:19 pm • by JStewart
Thanks for replying!

So that I understand, I should monitor each individuals unit's folder with Hazel versus the parent root? I'd essentially duplicate the rules across all unit's folders yes?

At times there may be a need to have a subfolder for a unit, such as if there's some sensitive imagery that needs further review. I think it would be wise to build this functionality in rather than add the folder on an as needed basis. How might this added subfolder in a unit's folder change how I'd set up Hazel?

Again, I greatly appreciate your prompt reply and I value your support. Thanks!

James
JStewart

Re: Watching multiple subfolders Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:41 am • by Allsop
Where you have subfolder for a Unit do you anticipate a lot of activity? If not how about adding “search subfolders” to that Units action? I think that should do it.
Allsop

Re: Watching multiple subfolders Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:05 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I'm assuming each unit has a subfolder under the parent. If that's the case, then have Hazel monitor the parent and then set up the rule to match each folder. The conditions I showed earlier will match any folders with changes (additions or removals). If there are further subfolders then things get more complicated.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support