Usage Report

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Usage Report Mon May 26, 2014 1:41 am • by Allsop
I am trying to set up a rule that will notify me what applications have not been opened in the last 3 months and have got stuck—not surprising :wink: At the moment my rule is:

If any of the following is before This Quarter
Do the following…Run AppleScript embedded script

The script is:

tell application "Mail"
set theNewMessage to make new outgoing message with properties {subject:"Hello from your Mac!", content:"These Application have not been used recently", visible:true}
tell theNewMessage
make new to recipient at end of to recipients with properties {address:"allsop@faithfulfish.co.uk"}
send
end tell
end tell

The script works well as does the rule and I get loads of emails with the same message. What I want to do is to identify the actual applications that have not been opened.

Any genius out there who could help me please?
(Note I am also posting this in a scripting forum)
Thanks.

P.S. I have just had a thought that I do not mind if instead of an email being sent, a text usage report is produced, it would just as well.
Allsop

Re: Usage Report Mon May 26, 2014 7:06 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I think you are missing a detail, which is which date attribute you are filtering on. Assuming it's "Date last opened", unfortunately, OS X is not very reliable in updating that value. You can check it's value in Finder or in Hazel's Preview but chances are it's not always accurate.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Usage Report Tue May 27, 2014 12:41 am • by Allsop
Thanks for your reply Mr_Noodle. The attribute “date last opened” seems to be working okay at the moment but if I have problems I will look at it; what attribute do you suggest as an alternative?

My actual problem is not so much the actual sending of the notification but rather how to get it to identify which document within a folder that has not been opened, any ideas on that?

Cheers
Allsop

Re: Usage Report Tue May 27, 2014 2:45 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Date last opened is the one to use but as mentioned, it's not entirely reliable. You can try poking around and seeing if any other dates work.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Usage Report Wed May 28, 2014 1:12 am • by Allsop
Thanks & I have solved my other problem as well! Just add a rule that names each document I want to track… easy!
Allsop

Return to Support