Trouble with Leopard and Tiger Server

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Trouble with Leopard and Tiger Server Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:49 am • by McDeth
Hello,

I have been searching high and low for instructions on how to make an applescript that would take files that are put into a folder, and after a certain amount of time has elapsed, move them to folders with an archive schema that would sort them by date created. Today I ran across this program, and lo and behold I can have my cake and eat it too! I got everything working on my laptop running 10.5.2 Leopard, and I went to try it on two servers, one running Tiger Server 10.4.11 and the other running Leopard Server 10.5.2. Unfortunately, I could not get Hazel to work on either server, and I had what looked to be the same problem on both servers. I will try to describe the work I am trying to automate.

I receive a fax via e-mail which is then downloaded by a client and automatically transfered into a folder on the server. On that folder there is a folder action attached that automatically takes the .tif and converts it to a .pdf. The first rule I have set up in Hazel for that folder says:

If "all" of the following conditions are met;
"Kind" is "pdf"
and
"date last modified" "is in the last" "1 minute"

Do the following;
"Copy file" to folder: "Fax Intake"

Clearly, this should take the newly created pdf and copy it to the folder titled "Fax Intake". After the file is copied to the "Fax Intake" folder, this is where the user interacts with the file for the first time, and where automation looses its effectiveness. Going back to the folder on the server called "Fax Intake", I have a second rule running that says:

If "all" of the following conditions are met;
"Kind" is "pdf"
and
"date last modified" "is not in the last" "2 minutes"
Do the following;
"Move file" to folder "Fax Archive"

Eventually I am going to have this rule changed from 2 minutes to 24 hours, so daily logs of the faxes that we receive can be seen by the user. Once the file is moved to the folder called "Fax Archive" I have a rule running on that folder that says:

if "all" of the following criteria are met;
"Any file"
Do the following:
"Sort file into subfolder" with pattern "date created"

This then moves any file put into Fax Archive folder into a folder titled the date that it was created. I had everything working fine on my laptop running Leopard 10.5.2, but when the rules are moved onto either server, Hazel cannot find any files in the folder that match the criteria. Even creating a blanket set of criteria that should catch ANY file into the folder does not work.

Some relevant notes on the servers that I want to install Hazel on. The server running Tiger is a dual quad core Xeon and currently is utilizing ACL's on the folders I want Hazel to automate and has spotlight search disabled. The server running Leopard is a G4 1.0 GHZ not currently utilizing ACL's (unless leopard server enables them by default) and has spotlight enabled.

Hazel is an extremely well laid out and powerful program and I will definitely be purchasing it if I can get these issues worked out.
McDeth

Re: Trouble with Leopard and Tiger Server Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:49 am • by Mr_Noodle
One obvious problem right off the bat is that you are going to need Spotlight enabled if you are going to match on "Kind".

I assume Hazel is running on the machines which also have the folders being monitored (i.e. you do not have Hazel monitoring a network share)? What user is Hazel running as? Does that user have permissions (taking ACLs into account) to perform the actions?

I say check the logs to see if there are any messages of it failing. You can find the logs by going to the "Info" pane and doing "View Log".
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support