New to Hazel - struggling with subfolders

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

New to Hazel - struggling with subfolders Sat May 24, 2014 8:54 pm • by Shadowfax
I just started trying out Hazel today. I'm using CameraSync on my iPhone to send all photos to Dropbox. I want the photos and videos renamed and filtered into a folder structure that looks like this:

Dropbox/Media/Camera Uploads (the monitored folder in Hazel)
...Camera Uploads/photos/yyyy/
...Camera Uploads/photos/yyyy/mm - Month (the ultimate destination for matching photo files)
...Camera Uploads/videos/yyyy/
...Camera Uploads/videos/yyyy/mm - Month (the ultimate destination for matching video files)

The file renaming part I got down just fine. But I'm struggling with the subfolders.

How do I get Hazel to:

1 - Create (if it doesn't exist) or traverse into the photos or videos folder
2 - Create (if it doesn't exist) or traverse into the correct yyyy folder based on the created date of the photo?
3 - Then drop the file into the appropriate month folder based on the created date?

I tried any number of variations of the Sort into subfolder action. Most recently, tried the following format:

Photos\date created\date created

The date created fields are formatted correctly, but it seems I can't specify Photos\ as part of the action?

I apologize if this is covered elsewhere. I've been attempting to follow this article (http://www.noodlesoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3519&p=12741&hilit=subfolder#p12741) on Dropbox photo management, and this article (http://www.noodlesoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=470) on Hazel going into subfolders, but I seem to be missing something.

Can anyone offer a pointer or two? I'm literally brand new to Hazel. I'd be so very appreciative...

dt
Shadowfax

Re: New to Hazel - struggling with subfolders Sun May 25, 2014 12:43 am • by Shadowfax
Problem solved. I dug around a few older posts and realized that I needed to use the ▸ field in the pattern. So Photos▸date created▸date created now settles the renamed file correctly into [monitored folder]\Photos\YYYY\MM - Month\.
Shadowfax

Return to Support