Run rules on subfolder, but avoiding certain folders

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Posted this is the wrong forum so reposting here. My apologies.

Sorry, I had trouble coming up with a descriptive title that was short enough to fit.

Im wondering if theres a way to process a file, depending on its location.

I have a folder of work stuff, called Work (User/Documents/Work). Inside work, there are subfolders (e.g., User/Documents/Work/Project 1). Everything inside the work folder is labeled with a Work Label, whether its located in the top-level folder, or in one of the subfolders (User/Documents/Work/Project 1).

Currently, I have a rule that will move anything in my User Folder folder that I give the color Label Work into the top-level work folder. The rule is coupled with the "Run Rules on Folder Contents" command, and works well. So, for example, if I download something that is pertinent to work, and label it Work, Haze will move it from downloads into Work.

The problem is, I don't know how to tell Hazel not to move stuff thats already in Work. So for example, once I enable the rule, Hazel will see that File.Pdf, which is located in User/Documents/Work/Project 1, is labeled Work and will therefore just move it to User/Documents/Work.

Is there a way I can tell hazel to do something like "if I label a file Work, move it into User/Documents/Work, unless it already resides in User/Documents/Work or one of its subfolders"?

How do I tell the subfolder rule to avoid certain folders in order to do this?
ohshititsjake

The original thread was moved and I already responded there. I'm closing this thread so go to the other thread for further discussion.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support