Problem with "Run Rules on folder contents" and Color Labels

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

First, let me explain what I am trying to do.

I have dropbox syncing all of my pictures from my phone to Camera Uploads. From there, I have hazel sorting each picture into Year/Month subfolders.

I also have separate folders for different people I take photos of Often, such as my girlfriend and cousin, and corresponding Color Labels for them. What I would like to happen is, when I go into a folder (for example, Camera Uploads / 2014 / May) and find a picture of my girlfriend, I would choose the correct color label for this picture, and Hazel would move it to the proper folder (which is located elsewhere on Dropbox).

Two problems I am running across:

Minor Problem (Edit: Solved)

First, the Label for my girlfriend is pink and titled Abbey. The problem is, I also have other labels that are pink, but with different names (e.g., school). Hazel doesn't seem able to distinguish between different color labels of the same color, but with different titles so it moves everything that is pink into the same folder, even if some are Abbey and some are School. Is there a better way to do this? I tried using "Tags" but nothing seemed to happen.

EDIT: Figured this out. I didn't realize there was a Tags/Contains Tags item. First Problem Solved.

Main Problem

The second, and larger, problem is that I am having trouble getting the Run Rules on Folder contents to work correctly. I have followed the instructions on this page but am having trouble. I have set up the rule that the post details on my Camera uploads folder. The problem is, I have other rules in that folder that I do NOT want running on subfolders and it seems to be all or nothing, either all of the rules run on subfolders (in which case, it begins to organize pictures, as detailed above, into subfolders infinitely) or it won't work at all.

I have tried rearranging the rules in different order, but that doesn't seem to affect it at all.

Here are the rules I have set up:

Last edited by ohshititsjake on Fri May 23, 2014 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ohshititsjake

Keep in mind the color labels are actually tags now so if you want to use specific tags, you should use the Add tags action, not the color label one.

As for limiting which rules work in subfolders, that's where you need to add extra conditions, like specifying the subfolder level. You can make it so some rules only apply at the top level, for instance.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:Keep in mind the color labels are actually tags now so if you want to use specific tags, you should use the Add tags action, not the color label one.

As for limiting which rules work in subfolders, that's where you need to add extra conditions, like specifying the subfolder level. You can make it so some rules only apply at the top level, for instance.

Thanks for the help. Figured it out.
ohshititsjake

Return to Support