Tagging files based on multiple rules?

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Tagging files based on multiple rules? Fri May 16, 2014 4:54 am • by Fatlab
I have a folder which collects PDFs prior to me getting round to sorting them. I've created a bunch of rules to look for certain content words and apply relevant tags as an interim filing solution. The problem I have hit is that the multiple rules could be relevant for a file but the ordering means only the first one is executed. Is there a way for all rules to be processed against a file, not just the first one to match?

The following is an example of whats causing the problem.

If contents contain DVLA then tag DVLA, CAR

if contents contain BMW then tag CAR, BMW

if contents contain Volvo then tag CAR, VOLVO

The document which first tripped things up was a letter from the DVLA about the BMW, which I'm my original plan should have been tagged DVLA, CAR, BMW but as you can imagine it only gets tagged as DVLA, CAR as that is the first rule that triggers.

As it stands I have around 15 tagging rules created of which a good number are co-dependent. Can anyone suggest a way forward or around the problem?

Dave
Fatlab

Re: Tagging files based on multiple rules? Fri May 16, 2014 12:14 pm • by Mr_Noodle
You might want to chime in on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3227

For now, one thing you can do is use color labels to indicate "phases". Like first phase is to check for these words, then color the file. Next phase only kicks in with files that have that color and check for other words. Not ideal but should hopefully hold you over until multiple rules for a single file is implemented. Again, to help with that, I highly recommend posting in that thread above. Just saying you want it doesn't help as much as giving me the information I need to design the feature properly.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support