non iTunes store backup

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

non iTunes store backup Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:49 am • by cengiz28
Hi there,
new to hazel, but figured with all the recommendations it might do what i like to get done.

this is my problem:
i use iTunes to manage my music and video files. i figured i don't need a backup for the music as this cover with iTunes match. for all the movies and TV seasons i bought directly on the iTunes store, the same applies.
but there are some i copied from dvds and i don't want to start the ripping process again in case i loose the HDD the iTunes lib is on.
I tried to come up with a rule to take all non-apple movies and copy them to an external HDD. it works against the codecs field and excludes files with MPEG-4 AAC.
i tested it against a folder which contained 3 different files, one original apple, two handbraked. works fine.
i then took the rule and moved it to work against the 'movies' folder and it happily copied every file in there.
can not figure why it works in a folder and not in another.

any ideas how to debug this or even better - has somebody had the same issue and solved it already ?
cengiz28

Re: non iTunes store backup Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:57 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I suggest using the preview function (the "eye" button). I'm guessing some attribute in the files is not what you expect.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: non iTunes store backup Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:34 pm • by cengiz28
Thank you Mr Noodle.

They eye function does show all directories in the movie folder , but the 'i" button next to the directory does not show what the attribute at all , but only some non relevant metadata.
i switched on debugging of course, but can also only see that hazel thinks there is a match.
can the reason be the fact that all files are in subfolders of the movies database? in my test case i go directly into the subfolder containing the mpeg files?
cengiz28

Re: non iTunes store backup Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:48 pm • by Mr_Noodle
If Hazel thinks a file matches, when you click the "i" button on it, it will highlight the attributes which caused the match. Take a closer look at those as I'm guessing there's some issue with the rule logic there. For instance, maybe you are using "any" instead of "all" in some instance.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support