Hazel Stopped Working

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hazel Stopped Working Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:50 pm • by egordin
Hello all!

I'm not quite sure what happened, but the other day Hazel simply stopped working. Each time that I run System Preferences, System Prefs freezes at Hazel and loads nothing but a blank window:

I end up having to force quit system preferences. I tried deleting all of the hazel preferences, all of the application support files, reinstalling. All of it doesn't work.

I am on a MBP 2.4ghz running 10.5.2.

Can anyone help?
_________
Eugene Gordin
http://www.eugenegordin.com
egordin

Re: Hazel Stopped Working Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:32 am • by Mr_Noodle
Can you check the logs in Console? It's located in /Applications/Utilities. Check the messages for System Preferences and see if there are any errors when loading the Hazel pane. Post or email what you find there.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Hazel Stopped Working Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:42 am • by egordin
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, this is what it says when I see the blank screen above:

4/28/08 11:39:28 PM System Preferences[2133] [NSPrefPaneBundle instantiatePrefPaneObject] (/Library/PreferencePanes/Hazel.prefPane): should only be called once

also, this:

4/28/08 11:42:15 PM System Preferences[2157] *** -[NSCFString substringToIndex:]: Range or index out of bounds

Hope that helps! Would love to have this app working again!
_________
Eugene Gordin
egordin

Re: Hazel Stopped Working Thu May 01, 2008 10:55 am • by Mr_Noodle
Very strange. Did you download it from the Noodlesoft site or somewhere else? I say download it from here in the off-chance that you have a corrupted copy.

Also, a shot in the dark, but what version of Safari are you running?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Hazel Stopped Working Thu May 01, 2008 12:22 pm • by egordin
Thank you for your continued help. I really hope that we can get this working!

I have only downloaded Hazel from your website. I am using Safari 3.1.1 or a Webkit nightly. However, I download it only with Safari and not Webkit. I still get the same error when starting System Preferences:

5/1/08 9:16:05 AM System Preferences[20516] NSScanner: nil string argument
5/1/08 9:16:05 AM System Preferences[20516] *** -[NSCFString substringToIndex:]: Range or index out of bounds

Is there any other place that Hazel might leave files other than ~/Library/Application Support, ~/Library/Preferences, /Library/Application Support and /Library/Preferences?

I just dont get why it would all of a sudden stop working. Any help would be great!
_________
Eugene Gordin
egordin

Re: Hazel Stopped Working Thu May 01, 2008 3:54 pm • by Mr_Noodle
A couple other random stabs:

- Did you upgrade or install Firefox recently or change anything in its configuration?
- Did this coincide with installing Webkit and if so, what version?

I'll try and do some tests on this later today but let me know if you dig up anything.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Hazel Stopped Working Sat May 03, 2008 11:52 am • by egordin
Alright the problem has been solved. It turns out that one of the rules I had set up was for the automated unraring of a file. For some reason, the file kept appearing in the downloads folder and I could not figure out why, but since it had a zero file size, Hazel was confused.

Once I got rid of the file (and the program that kept downloading it), Hazel began working just fine.

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.
_________
Eugene Gordin
egordin

Re: Hazel Stopped Working Mon May 05, 2008 3:42 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I'm not sure how that would prevent the pref pane itself from loading. While I'm glad things are working for you now, I can't help but think that something else was going wrong. If it happens again, let me know.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support