Same filename, not same size

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Same filename, not same size Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:12 am • by hansel
Hi all,

I'm very new to hazel, but am already loving it. One particular problem, however, I have not been able to solve.
Since I didn't get lucky with google nor did I find anything in the right direction on this forum, I'm hoping somebody can help me out.

I'm in the process of finally cleaning up the big mess I've left while using iPhoto over the years. I'm also using gemini to get on top of the mess I have with various backups on several external drives. By accident I have also dumped pictures from the "modified" folder(s), which I didn't want to do, as I'd rather work with the originals, since the modified pics aren't great. So the problem I have is that I have many pictures that are almost identical, but gemini will correctly not identify them as duplicates, since they differ slightly in size. Hazel has added -1, -2, -3 etc.. to these modified versions so as to not replace the images with the same file names.

I have now put all images with these suffixes into a separate folder

Is there a rule recipe that allows me to compare the content of the folder with the modified images to the folder with the originals, e.g. by comparing the first parts of the filenames that match and then move/delete the ones that have a more recent date of creation?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

hansel
hansel

Re: Same filename, not same size Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:52 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Unfortunately, you'll have to use a script for that since Hazel can't really compare files in this way. Do you have backups? Maybe you can revert back to the original layout by restoring the files.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Same filename, not same size Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:38 pm • by hansel
Thanks. Guess I'll have to learn how to use scripts ;) I've managed to work around that problem by re-checking for duplicates and managed to narrow down the files in question to a few gig of images. I will do some spot checks and visually compare at random and then delete. I'll keep a backup for a while to see if I miss anything.
hansel

Return to Support