For those who had AppSweep pop-up during the last update

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

No such file in Time Machine since 1,5 months, tried restoring and again no luck.

I have now tried restoring from a SuperDuper! backup from last night. I found all the designated files and restored them all. Same problem, nothing is back, no folders, no rules. I even restored the Hazel pref pane from this one.

Something is badly broken here. I now have to completely restore my computer from yesterday's disk image just because of this bug. This is just insane and infuriating.

It's 11:30PM here and my night is ruined.
darkskyz

Again, I advise against doing anything drastic as I suspect it will just make things worse. Please email me with the com.noodlesoft.Hazel.plist file.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

I've updated the post again with an extra step in the restore process. If you are on Mavericks, I suggest trying it again as it also deals with a stupid thing they introduced that caches all the preferences and can potentially write stale preferences back out.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

I followed your advice and gave your new step a try. And... it worked.

I had 2 cfprefsd processed, one from root and one from my user.
Both kept restarting after I killed them. I killed them just before restoring the pref files anyway that must have helped as short of this trick this is the exact same thing I did several times earlier.

In a previous attempt I restored the 3.2.5 Hazel pref pane, now I have updated back to 3.2.6. Crossing fingers but I did it. :mrgreen: And the AppSweep pop-up showed up again but I pressed the right button this time !

At this stage can I help by sending you any file, log or something ?

I have to admit that I swore at you quite a bit tonight (hopefully we are thousands of kilometers away) but now that everything is OK I am willing to help :wink:
darkskyz

That's quite alright. I know this was quite frustrating for all of us. Actually, I finally figured it out (turns out to be an Apple bug which screwed things up for me) so I just pushed out 3.2.7. Since you already were hit by the bug, updating won't help you but you should do it just so that any crash reports will be against the latest version. Also, if AppSweep comes up again (a) click the "Keep All" button and (b) report it immediately.

Thanks for your patience through this.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

That's all right, let's say we had a bad day...

I just updated to 3.2.7 and :

- the Sys prefs restarted automagically this time
- no AppSweep of death :D

Have a good one, I am off to sleep now !
darkskyz

Where exactly are these files? I'm seeing no Library/Application Support/Hazel folder in any of my backups. My exact file path (within my backup) is Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support. There's no Hazel file in there. Also not seeing any com.noodlesoft files in Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences.

I'm not seeing these on my non-backup hard drive either, so I hope I'm just missing something...
broccoliboy21

These are both under your home folder, not at the top level of your drive. Also, recent versions of OS X may hide the Library folder under your home. Google around on how to make it appear.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Thanks for all your help! Must be a tough day.

Also, thanks for the great program!
broccoliboy21

I too had this happen. App sweep got rid of all my support files and my license. I was trying to figure out why my desktop rule wasn't running as it became cluttered with files yesterday. After reading the log file, it said only the first folder rules would run in demo mode. Demo mode, I thought? Why would it say demo mode after all these years. Turns out it also deleted my license.

I was able to find most of my stuff in a SuperDuper! backup and add most of the rules back. Not sure why all that happened, but talk about an efficient feature, self-uninstallation FTW.

BTW, I looked in both user and system library files and didn't find any com.hazel.plist file anywhere. Not sure if it too was deleted or never existed.
igeekrn

It would have to have existed otherwise Hazel wouldn't work. The file is com.noodlesoft.Hazel.plist, BTW. Not sure if you entered it wrong when you searched or when you posted.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

When I posted. I did search using the exact name you gave and found it in a completely strange place in my documents folder in the following path: Users/ken/Documents/hazel archived/Hazel (1086) Support Files-1/Users/ken/Library/Preferences.

What an odd file path. Must have been programmatically created.
igeekrn

Is it possible you have some other program doing this? Hazel doesn't put your files there. Are you using MacKeeper by chance?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Support